Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Logged in as a temporary profile

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hey there. I have a Dell Dimension Desktop 4300, with Windows XP Home Edition, that has been having some strange problems.

I don't usually use the computer, it's mainly other members of my family, so I don't exactly know how the computer came to this. Recently, we started to notice that files were just dissappearing after a while after we saved them, no matter where we saved them. Now when I log on the computer, a message pops up telling me something about logging in as a "temporary profile", in a message that I can't exactly remember right now.

Apparently this is the reason that our files get deleted after we log off. We have run spyware and virus scans, and nothing seems to be fixing the problem.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem of using a temporary profile?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your files may not be deleted, they may still be in a profile somewhere on the machine.

Sounds like your primary profile is damaged. You can try a chkdsk, which may (but likely will not) repair the disk area that the profile is in.

Start > run, type
cmd
<enter>

in the black box, type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to repair at next boot.

Reboot.

Let it run it's course--will take a while.

If the error persists, create a new profile by creating a new user. Log in as the new user, move the data files over to the new profile, then delete the old profile (remove the user).

Generally speaking, the best way to do this will be to log in in safe mode (tap f8 as the memory counts up about once a second until you get a menu allowing safemode), and log in as administrator (no password for HOME XP)