Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my computer access

• Please log in to reply

bumfluff

bumfluff

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi i have been advised to post my prob here by a guy in the malware forum after a lot of scans have been declared malware free. my problem is when i click on my computer from start a little torch icon apears as if searching for my drives.after about 2minutes drives apear and i can continue but this never used to be the case iused to get instant access, hope someone can help, cheers. o/s windows xp home

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, check to see if you have a lot of files in the root of C:
(not in folders)

How many do you see when you click on MY COMPUTER > LOCAL DISK?

bumfluff

bumfluff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi thx for your time when i open up local disc c i see 9 files not in folders hope this helps.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK

start > run
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

double click. Hit the STOP button, change the startup type to disabled, close, reboot.

Still open slowly? Do you have a scanner? Unplug it. Does it still run slowly?

Do you use a cable modem? Does it plug in through the USB port? Unplug it and reboot see if the problem goes away

bumfluff

bumfluff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
great work m8 problem solved disabled wia and unplugged scanner hardly use it anyway irealy am most grateful was doing my head in thought there might be major problem ,what a great bunch of guys in these forums thx ever so much/ :tazz: