Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Timeout

• Please log in to reply

drewmacd

drewmacd

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
A problem i have had since (i think) i upgraded the personal firewall ZoneAlarm is sending and recieving mail in outlook express. It says its connected, but before it checks for mail, it timesout and doesnt get any mail.

I also have a problem with AOL Instant Messenger, where when you try to "Direct Connect" to send pictures and things to other people, that also times out and wont connect.

i have lowered a few settings on zonealarm to try to help, but nothing has worked. i dont know what else to do.

any ideas?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
remove zonealarm, see if the problem goes away as a first step (so you can isolate this is indeed the problem)

If it does work at that point, you need to COMPELTELY remove zonealarm

http://nh2.nohold.ne...stallNonNT.html

If you simple reinstall zonealarm, the configuration that is causing the issue will return.

After it is completely removed, you can try installing and retraining zonealarm from scratch to achieve desired results, or install a different firewall.

Honestly, zonealarm seems to be causing more and more anomolies as it evolves.

drewmacd

drewmacd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i figured out that the problem is lying withing Norton Antivirus. i disabled it, and tried to check my mail, and vuala! i got 10 new messages :-D im still trying to figure out how norton controls programs or firewalls them.

this definatly narrowed things down.

drewmacd

drewmacd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
although, i restarted my computer and norton was enabled, checked mail and it worked. i have no idea what the heck is going on lol. im probably just makin this more complicated!!

drewmacd

drewmacd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I think i figured it out.

Norton had its Firewall on, so i turned that off and kept Zonealarm running (i re-downloaded ZA). so far, so good. everything is running fine.