Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

access files remotly

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
i have my own site, nothing specil like just random stuff any teen would ave like me poems etc. anyways my site runs off my pc not a web host, and i have a few friends who want to set up minisites too so wot i would like is basically...
1) be able to put their sites on my pc

2)but be able to do it from their pcs so they can update their site etc wenever

3)i already have seperate login names for my m8s
so i wot i wanna do is when they logon they can go on a page and access my pc's files (but only ones
in a file that i allocate them- except for some cos they can share my pics n stuff so also need to be
able to access some of my files) so basically i need them to be able to view my folders on their
create a website page snd change them and view them like if they have a video to play into another part of the web frame or in a new window

Advertisements

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
THen set access rights on the files depending on what program you use as your web server.

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i dont no how to make access rights i dont even no wot u do on the site to make it accessable, do u use a text box or something- i have no idea, really need someone who can tell me a step by step guide lol

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Probably the best way to do what you want is to put an FTP server on your machine, and your friends can access with an FTP client, or use the FTP client in Internet explorer. This will allow you to set usernames and passwords, to limit access to one folder per person and set options for uploading, downloading and modifying the files and folders. I like the server at this site, it's very easy to configure.

http://www.ftpshell.com