Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Space won't free up after file delete

• Please log in to reply

shepard

shepard

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My son tried to convert a DVD and when finished had an 8GB file left on the hard drive which he does not need. He deleted it, not just into the recycle bin, but permanently. However, the 8GB on the hard drive does not show up as being free. The file is not in the original location any more, and not in the recycle bin. Why doesn't XP see the space it previously occupied as now free?

Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
windows could be misreporting the size, so let's try that first.

start > run, type
cmd
<enter>

in the blackbox, type
chkdsk /r
say yes to check on reboot

reboot.

Take a walk

If it is still missing, download spacemonger from here:

http://www.werkema.c...pacemonger.html

and post a screen shot

shepard

shepard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry - I may not have been clear in the original post. We want it "missing". We deleted the file, but XP does not show the space the file occupied as free. It was an 8GB file. Deleted it, but the 8GB was not made free space.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i know.

Please try what I suggested

shepard

shepard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok - Thanks. I did figure it out. That computer has the Norton Protected Recycle bin, and even though he had chosen not to send it to the recycle bin, I found it protected. Purged it and now the space is recovered.

Thanks!