Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin router acting up

• Please log in to reply

Kornty

Kornty

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had this router for around a year now, and for the past two months if I don't leave something downloading overnight, the router will stop working. The power will be on but I can't do any network related operations. I lose internet, and I can't use the ipconfig line in the cmd prompt. The only way that I've found to work around this is to do the overnight download or just reset every morning, and probably by the afternoon when I get home from work I will need to do it again. The model of the modem is Belkin F5D5231-4. Thanks for any help Also I'm using Windows XP SP2, my roomate uses XP SP1 (the problem affects everyone connected not just me)

Edited by Kornty, 25 November 2005 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I have the exact same model Belkin router. I have had it maybe 2 to 3 years. When I first set it up, I had a problem with the router loosing connections, and as I recall the usual fix for me was reboot of the computer rather than the router. Anyhow, I was at http://www.dslreports.com/ and started investigating their forums. They have one for Belkin. I went there and did a search for my router. I found other folks had the same or similar problems, and that Belkin had posted an update (I believe firmware) to fix the issues which they later pulled for some reason. I found a thread that had a link to a download of this update, which I downloaded and installed. I have not had any trouble with this router since I updated it. It may well be that Belkin now has a fix, go there and look. If you don't find anything, go to dlsreports and search the belkin forum like I did.

Kornty

Kornty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I looked all over the belkin fourms but couldent find any topics that had the new firware, is there anyway you could get me a link to it?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Go to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/belkin and search for "F5D5231-4". That is what I would have to do, and you can do it just as well as me. You may have to join the forum to use the search feature.