Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express files

• Please log in to reply

DOS2XP

DOS2XP

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My old drive with Windows 98SE recently died, so I got a new drive and loaded Windows XP Professional. On a different computer (also Win XP Pro), I have Outlook Express messages that I want to export, and import them into the other computer with the new drive in Microsoft Outlook. When I go to File>Export>Messages...>and hit OK, nothing seems to happen.

How do I accomplish what I want? Where do I export messages and take them over to my new drive so I can import them into Microsoft Outlook?

Art

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, if only this were a simple process. It does this because outlook express exports the files directly to outlook, which is not installed on your machine, rather than a nice little csv file.

The easiest way to do this is probably

On Windos 98, search (or is it find) files with the .DBX extension (*.dbx in find)

they will be in a folder that ends like this.....

...Application Data\Identities\{0D4DF09F-9EFB-4B19-A70D-92D6B5761B08}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

(0D4DF09F-9EFB-4B19-A70D-92D6B5761B08 will be a randomly generated number.)

Copy those files in this folder with those extensions to a cd.

On the new machine, Open outlook express and if there is not a profile, create one.

Now search for the *.dbx files again on the new machine...

You will find them in a folder that looks like

C:\Documents and Settings\{profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{more messy alpha numerics}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Copy the files from the cd, OVERWRITING the files that are here...WARNING, IF YOU ARE ALREADY USING OUTLOOK EXPRESS ON THIS MACHINE< THIS WILL WIPE OUT THE EMAIL MESSAGE IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS, SO EXPORT THOSE FIRST.

After overwrite, run outlook express, go to FILE > EXPORT, choose OUTLOOK and choose your Outlook profile...follow the prompts

DOS2XP

DOS2XP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I used to be able to do that when I had Windows 98. The replaced hard drive now has XP. What you've described is what I used to do. The problem is, that I no longer have Win 98. I found a workaround and here is what I did.

I archived my Outlook to clear my messages. Then, I went to File>Import and Export>Outlook>Import Internet Mail and Adresses>Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x. This allowed all my files from Outlook Express to be converted to Microsoft Outlook. Then I copied the Outlook.pst found in the folder you describe (or I could have generated a file by doing an archive process), to the other computer via email (since the file was so large). Then from the other computer, I opened up Outlook and imported the Outlook.pst via the Import and Export function.

This was the best solution.