Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Somethings wrong with my Sbot S&D

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I had trouble downloading the newest definitions today. Got "bad checksum" a few times, kept switching the server until both updates downloaded and installed. But then sbot wouldn't close. I kept clicking the X and it won't close out. I can minimize it, and do a few other things, but it won't close, and it won't search for newer updates, and it won't run a scan. It's like it kind of frozen but not all the way... make sense?

I've got it minimized right now, but don't know what to do. Maybe I'll restart computer. Let me know if any of you have ideas as to why this happened.

Thanks!

Edit: computer won't let me log off, restart, or shut down!!!!!!!!!!! Help! What the heck it wrong with this thing?

Edited by jen147, 25 November 2005 - 03:23 PM.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
When updating, why do I get an error message that the "update is forbidden" / "bad checksum!!!"?
Some users have reported they are not able to download updates. The 'Search for updates' reveals updates, but they cannot be downloaded. Often a 'HTTP Error 403' or 'bad checksum' is displayed. This has a simple reason - thousands of people trying to download from the default server, which can't handle such a burden. If you try again, have a second look at the menu bar. It has a pull-down item to select a mirror. Click the arrow beside it, and select a different location, where you'll most probably have better chances to download. (Spybot-S&D 1.3 will set a random mirror as the default to better distribute the load) Current problems with the main installer download have the same reason - the servers not being able to handle such large amounts of visitors. Even the University isn't able to deal with many thousands of downloads at the same time. Please have some patience; more mirrors are being added again.

http://www.internets....cc/spybot/faq/

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
If you will reread my post you will see that my question did not concern the bad checksum. I know about the problems they have with that. And I am patient when it comes to trying another server to get my downloads. My problem was that Sbot froze after all that. I could not get it to close, I could not get my computer to shut down. My question had nothing to do with "why do I get a bad checksum when updating".

I was finally able to get something going when I hit ctrl+alt+delete. The Task Manager came up and let me kill the Sbot that was not responding. Then I sent an error report to Microsoft and their info was for me to contact Sbot's website, when there I filed a bug report with them.

Where it not for Task Manager, I wouldn't have been able to shut my computer down at all.

Still interested in anybody's experience with this or ideas as to why this happened.

Thanks!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

If you will reread my post you will see that my question did not concern the bad checksum

I did read your post and I did understand that your problem was that the computer would not shut down. I thought you might be interested in the future knowing what caused the bad checksum. :tazz:

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Oh, ok... I probably learned about bad checksum from you guys in the first place. I don't know what I'd do without this site! You guys are priceless!