Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows XP pro wont start

• Please log in to reply

Vitalik

Vitalik

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey

im new here and my problem is that my windows xp wont start after "windows is starting up" message,it just sit there doing nothing...... i think someone had similiar problem here so i tryed everything and it stil doesnt work

dont feel like reinstalling windows because i do video editing and it would be pain to install all my hardware and software again

help someone! help me anyone! :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Vitalik...

You didn't list what all you've tried so I'll throw a suggestion out for you and you can post back with what you HAVE tried in your next post... :tazz:

Try booting into Safe Mode (pressing F8 during boot up) and try the "Last known good configuration" option.

wannabe1

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
safe mode does work but when i try to load it with networking it doesnt....... last known config ddoesnt wk either........tryed recovery console with chdsk /r command as u adviced to someone else in other post and it did find some errors and apparently fixed it but didnt soleve my prblem....also tryed "repair" windows using my xp cd and it kinda installed windows again but kep all my settings and such and windwo did star but after restarting comp i got the same problem again..........

btw tx alot for quick response :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Vitalik...

Do you have any USB devices such as Flash Drives or External Hard Drives attached to your machine? If you have any USB devices connected, try disconnecting them and restart.

If you can boot into Safe Mode and not into Normal Mode, it may be a driver issue, possibly a video driver...try reinstalling the video drivers from Safe Mode.

wannabe1

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
does mouse/keyboard count?

gonna try reinstalling video drivers meanwhile

the weird thing is it did work before and now all of a sudden it doesnt even tho i didnt do or install anything

oh and windows does load but it get stuck at "please wait.......windows is starting up"

Edited by Vitalik, 25 November 2005 - 04:16 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For now we'll assume the mouse and keyboard are not the problem. Just in case, though, do you have a PS2 mouse and keyboard available?

A "Hang" at that point usually indicates that windows is waiting for something such as a driver to load and it isn't loading. The most common issues involve USB devices or video drivers.

Let's try a System File Check...this will compare the system files on your installation cd with those installed on your machine and repair or replace any that are damaged or corrupt.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). Do not interupt this procedure unless you are absolutely positive it has stopped reponding.

wannabe1

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ummmm the command sfc /scannow doesnt do anything........atleast in safe mode :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmm...it should run.

Boot back into Safe Mode. Click Start then Run, and type eventvwr.msc...click "Ok". Click on "System" in the left pane and note any red notifiers in the right pane. List a few of the most recent ones for me. I'm particularly interested in the number listed under the "Event" heading.

wannabe1

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
there is couple 10005 events Source: Dcom ,bunch of 7001 events Source: Service Control Manager and one 7026 event also Dcom

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you or have you had a Lexmark Printer installed on your machine?

Advertisements

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
nop,i had HP printer istalled and i disconnected it recently

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...I think HP uses the same service as Lexmark.

Go to "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel and remove any and all entries listed for HP.

Reboot and see if it will go into Normal Mode.

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
umm i dont have anything from hp cause i just plugged it in USB and didnt install anything
sorry for previous post i meant i had Hp printer connected not installed.......

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
oh and i just downloaded and installed latest video drivers and tryed unplugging usb devices evn mouse/keyboard and nothing :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:) Are we having fun yet? Let's try the other service that's generating a code.

Click Start then Run and type services.msc /s...click "Ok".

Double click on "Help and Support". For "Startup Type", click "Automatic" and click "Ok".

Try starting the machine again.... :tazz: ....