Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows XP pro wont start

• Please log in to reply

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i dunno i had fun first couple days until studio started caling me and demanding there wedding movies ........
gonna try that......

Advertisements

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
its already on automatic

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do a System Restore...restore to a couple of days before the problem started happening and see if it will go to Normal Mode on its own when it restarts. There are sooooo many things that cause this.... :tazz: Don't know if this will work after having done the repair, though...

Edited by wannabe1, 25 November 2005 - 06:01 PM.

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it only let me restore to yestaday for some reason and i laready had that problem yestaday oh and now when i restart comp even before windows start loading it says primary slave error but its there and i can even browse it when windows starts hmm thats something new.......

now im totally confused......now everytime i restart in safe mode it keeps finding some multimedia audio controller but it doesnt find any drivers and it doesnt accept any drivers for my audio card wth

Edited by Vitalik, 25 November 2005 - 06:16 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll check on the slave error in a bit...as long as it's an error and not a failure, we're ok.

Open Device Manager. On the "View" (toolbar) menu, click to select the "Show hidden devices" check box.
Double-click "Non-Plug and Play Drivers"...Double-click "NetBIOS over Tcpip". In the "Device usage" box, click Use this device (enable).

If this is already enabled, I'll want to check something in the registry.... :tazz:

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yep already enabled

regedit next? :tazz:

Edited by Vitalik, 25 November 2005 - 06:24 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKey_Local_Machine, then System, then CurrentControlSet, then Services, then click on Netlogon.

In the right pane, look at DependOnService...what is the value listed to the right of this key?

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it says value data: LanmanWorkstation :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...this may seem a bit redundant, but I'd like for you to run the chkdsk /r again...only this time do it twice in a row...sometimes, if there are too many bad clusters on the drive, chkdsk can't repair them all in one pass.

Let me know how it goes....

The registry key was as it should be....

Edited by wannabe1, 25 November 2005 - 06:46 PM.

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok atleast reg key is ok heh

ok will do it but it might take a while cause yestaday it got stuck at 50% and was baely movin so i just went to sleep....brb with result

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Vitalik...

When the chkdsk is done and we're pretty sure the HDD is in good shape, let's do a selective startup and see if we can figure out which service is causing the problem. Boot into Safe Mode and do the following:

Click Start then Run and type msconfig...click "Ok". Click on the "Services" tab. At the bottom of the window, put a check in the box to "Hide All Microsoft Services" Clear all the remaining check boxes and click "Apply" then "Ok".

Reboot your machine and let me know if you are able to boot into Normal Mode.

If it boots to Normal Mode, you will see a "Selective Startup" window...this is normal and we'll ignore it for the time being...just click "Ok" to close it. Now, enable one service and reboot...then another one and reboot. Do this until it fails to boot normally...that will be our problem service (or one of them). Uncheck that one and enable another one...reboot. I'm sure you get the gist of what we're doing.... :tazz:

When you finish this procedure, post back with what you discover.

wannabe1

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yea check did find some errors again and after third time it didnt say anything about errors but windows still doesnt start

ok let me try this.....

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
went to msconfig>services ,clicked "Hide All Microsoft Services",unchecked all remaining services,clicked apply and it asked me if i want to restart i clicked yes and it still get stuck on "windows is starting up"message.......grrr im frustrated.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Me too...this may indicate it is a Microsoft service that's hanging it up...I had hoped not to get into those. Let me look into a few of them before we start to disable any of them. I'll get back to you shortly... :tazz:

wannabe1

Vitalik

Vitalik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i just dont get it all of a suden it doesnt work :tazz: and abother thing i dont et is why safe mode itself work while safe mode with networking doesnt?

oh and should i turn on all services again?

Edited by Vitalik, 25 November 2005 - 10:35 PM.