Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE or Firefox (PLEASE HELP!)

• Please log in to reply

lecia

lecia

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
:tazz: I have firefox as my browers due to issues I was having with IE I have programs that I can't download on my computer because it states I don't have IE on my system, I do and it says I don't. Can anyone help me with this. I del firefox and it still didn't work right I know the program is fine because I downloaded it 2 months ago and it worked fine.

Thank you for your time,

Lecia

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can have IE and Firefox both in your system and just open the one you need for the occasion. I've got both on this one and they both work fine. I'm on IE right now.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's most likely not because the site thinks you don't have IE on your system (virtually all XP systems do), its because the site's arrogant enough to basically assume you're using IE and complains when you aren't.

Anyway this Firefox extension should help:
http://chrispederick...ragentswitcher/

Just change the User Agent to IE6 and you should be able to get what you want off the site.

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Also another thing you could do is when it tells you that it can not download it due to you not using IE. then just open IE and copy paste the site into IE and open. It works for me.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy lecia:

Could you please advise if you are running the latest updates for XP and IE6 as well as just what it is you are trying to download when you get the message??

Murray

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I bought this prgram called hallmark card studio 2003 in 2003 I only put it on my computer when I need it like around the holidays than I take it off my system.

Also the other problem that I am having is I downloaded firefox and loved it but whenever I would go into a website it would tell me I was missing programs (add on's) I would click the link to download and it wouldn't download. Someone from this forum emailed me to my yahoo address and told me that this website geeks to go has everyone download firefox and she told me to del all of these programs that I had on my computer and download these other programs and get rid of firefox, at that time I did get rid of firefox and I than emailed Phil from this forum that helped me out in the hijackthis forum because this women didn't sound right with what she was telling me to do.

I am a stay at home mom and I work at home and I need to download ebooks off this website I am a member of and for some reason my system downloads them but I can't open them and when I'm in my outlook express and click onto a web address it states it can't open the site when it did last week. Thank you for trying to help me. Phil told me that you would try to help me with this and thank you for taking the time to do so.

I am running the latest for IE6 & XP updates.....................

Lecia

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
Hello lecia,

Could you please tell us what programs besides Firefox were you instructed to delete?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Hello lecia

Would you please let me know who it was that emailed you from this forum to instruct you to do things? We very much prefer that information obtained from this site be done in public so that the things told to you are factual and fall within our terms of service.

Thanks

ScHwErV :tazz:

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Here is a copy of the emails that she sent to me, the last one that she sent to me she got a little pissed off because I had not replyed to her, I del. that one than blocked her from my email address.

11-25-05

Hi Lecia,
While on the GeeksToGo forums, I saw your request
about "IE or Firefox"; I am known as "SpiritWind" there
& have read thru your thread in the HijackThis thread.
Most recent security newsletters report about 3 times
more "holes" in Firefox needing to be fixed than IE, so
because of the encouragement of various security forums
"promoting" Firefox, the hackers seem to be targeting it
lately.
I have thought about adding Firefox, but since I rarely
see any malware reported on my security scans, I figure
why bother. It is probably because of my computer
settings and the programs I have installed.
I am willing to provide advice in this area, if you are
interested !? If yes, I would encourage you to download,
then install both : 1) "Unlocker" from :
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker ( this program would be
used to "delete" any files or folders showing a "reluctance"
to be removed ) ; 2) the FREE "evaluation copy" of
"Registry First Aid" from www.rosecitysoftware.com
( this program is SAFE if only the FREE evaluation copy
is used & its purpose is to remove "left-over" entries in
the registry; I 1st heard about it from a pcworld.com
newsletter ).
I cannot tell from the threads what EXACTLY is currently
on your computer AND if you have COMPLETELY removed
( not just "uninstalled" ) Firefox !?
I have tried "adding" "lecia1565" to my Yahoo IM, where
I am known as "eptaylor6" and attempted to send you an
IM, but it says "Add request pending".

SpiritWind

11-27-05

Should uninstall "Anonymizer Anti-Spyware", "AOL Spyware
Protection", & "McAfee Antispyware" .

Open Internet Options from the Windows control panel and click the "Security" tab. Highlight the "Internet" icon and then click "Custom Level". Choose "Medium" from the drop-down box at the bottom, then click the "Reset" button. Click "ok", then click "Custom Level" again.

Set your options just as I have listed below:

.NET Framework-reliant components

Run components not signed with Authenticode (Disable)
Run components signed with Authenticode (Prompt)
ActiveX controls and plug-ins

Download signed ActiveX controls (Prompt)
Download unsigned ActiveX controls (Disable)
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe (Disable)
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins (Enabled) (This actually refers to Java and Flash, not ActiveX)
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting (Enabled)
Miscellaneous

Access data sources across domains (Disable)
Drag and drop or copy and paste files (Prompt)
Installation of desktop items (Prompt)
Launching programs and files in an IFRAME (Disable)
Navigate sub-frames across different domains (Disable)
Software channel permissions (High safety)
Userdata persistance (Disable)
Scripting

Allow paste operations via script (Prompt)
Scripting of Java applets (Enabled)

I was told by Phil that someone from the fourm checked her out and she is now band from the site due to wrong info that she gave to people.

Anything more I can get for you guys just let me know..................

Lecia

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
Please tell me you did not uninstall everything that they told you too. If you did then you have opened even more doors for attacks. Please note that you mya have a little overkill on your spyware protection, however there is no problems with having more then one spyware tool on the machine at one time.

anonymizer spyware is a safe program to have.

Mcaffee spyware is a good product also, it's part of the Mcaffee Security Suite. and as long as you have your subscription up to date it will stay updated.

Aol spyware tool, a lot of us here aren't particularly fond of AOL, however their spyware tool isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Now what you have done in IE is not a bad setting, however there is some information there that is wrong.

Drag and drop or copy and paste files (Prompt)

on this one, if you do a lot of copy and paste, including links you will get tired of eing prompt all the time. I suggest leaving this one as enabled

Software channel permissions (High safety)

This can affect how certain software, ie windows updates, access the web for ther updates. I recommend this one to be set at Medium

Launching programs and files in an IFRAME (Disable)

this should be prompt this isn't used that often but sometimes it is and it would be better to be prompted then not see what you are looking at or for.

Userdata persistance (Disable)

This has nothing to do with spyware, this can deal with login for software. thsi should be enabled

Navigate sub-frames across different domains (Disable)

This setting allows permission to navigate the sub-frame of a window with a top-level document residing in a different domain. I recomend this to be enable

All items under the scripting section should be enabled

also could you post a link to your HIjack this log that they were referring to.

Advertisements

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The only thing that I removed was firefox.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
lecia

Could you please PM me her email address, there is no spiritwind registered here at Geeks To Go, but I should be able to look her up by her email address.

Thanks

ScHwErV :tazz:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
in Internet explorer, click on tools>Internet options
nxt click on the [b]Programs]/b] tab
and click on reset web settings.

next do the following

click on start>all programs>set program access adn defaults
in the window that opens up make sure the the radio button for Custom is selected, then click on the down arrow in that section.

next click on the radio button next to the programs you want to be used by default there. close that out, restart your computer then try you ebooks again. let us know what happens

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok her email address and name is Thanks I pulled up her profile yesterday and she had been banned from this forum and website.

Dragon, I just did what you told me to do and will restart my computer and download an ebook. Thank you guys for you help, I'll post once I download the ebook.

Lecia :tazz:

Edited by ScHwErV, 02 December 2005 - 02:15 PM.

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
:) Dragon I did what you told me to do than restarted my computer and I downloaded the ebook and this is the message my computer gave to me...............................

when the problem occurred the operating system
version and computer hardware in us your digital
product id, which could be used to identify your
license and the internet protocal (ip) address of
your computer.

It would not download, than I clicked save to download it onto my desktop and did it that way and I got the same message. :tazz: :)