Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE or Firefox (PLEASE HELP!)

• Please log in to reply

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes I have all that on my computer and I have printed it out.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Great follow those directions, after you have done that let me know the status of your problems, I haven't given up yet :tazz:

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes I am blonde :tazz: !! I am such a beginner on this computer stuff it's not even funny. Am I supposed to make a recovery cd? I am so sorry I don't understand what it wants me to do!! :)

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
what you are making is basically a install cd, this will allow me to attempt to fix your registry so we can resolve your problems.

What I am trying to do is prevent you from having to do a full system recovery which can cause you to lose files/programs

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Got ya! Please be bear with me with this because I'm not a computer person at all!! :tazz:

I just did a search and found the I386 file and it found 22 files and 1 reg. file which one do I copy to disc?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
please do me a favor first before following the rest of the instructions, put your Recovery CD in the computer, do not let it do its recovery option, Next do a search on that CD for i386, let me know the size of that file when you find it. I.E. the number of files in it.

you need to copy that entire folder onto the CD. When you copy it make sure it goes on the cd as it's own file

For example, when you put the CD in the computer and click on "My Computer" then Explore that CD it should only have the file i386.

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok, i put the cd in and it went right to the files, i than right clicked onto the file and it says 223 files and 6.78 MB (7,116,510 bytes)

ok now a dumb question for you.................. How do I save the file to a blank cd when I have the recovery cd in my e drive?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
not a dumb question at all. Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked.

ok, that file on the recovery CD is bigger, then the one on the computer. so we need to use that one.

right click on i386 on the cd rom, then choose copy this will open a new window that will allow you to copy that folder over to the computer. in The left half of the window click on Desktop, next hit Enter or click on ok. this will copy that folder over to your computer harddrive and on your desktop.

After that is done, remove the recovery CD and place the blank CD in the Burner. Next copy the i386 folder you just placed on your desktop to the blank cd.

I realize these instructions look a little confusing, but this was the easiest way to explain it without sending you to another website that could be even harder to follow.

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok the cd is made :tazz:

I'm sorry it takes me so long to reply, I have a 2 1/2 yr old thats demanding my attention and I babysit a 11 month old

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Don't feel bad, I have a 2 1/2 year old here that is constantly causing turmoil. :tazz: And I'm a work at home Dad.

ok, here is what we are going to attempt to do, make sure the CD is in the drive. next click on start>run and in the box that pops up type cmd

This will open a new window that has a black screen. in that window type this
sfc /scannow
Please note the space between sfc and /. then hit enter.

let it run and let me know if you get any errors.

Advertisements

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Is this going to del. any of my files that I have on my system like outlook, my pic's and should I log off the internet when I do it?

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok I just tried to do it and this is what it said..................

windows file protection

files that are required for windows to run
properly must be copied to the dll cache.

insert your windows professional service
pack 2 cd now

I don't have a service pack 2 cd??

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
ok, now things get interesting

It appears that when they pre-installed the software on your computer, they also pre-installed Service Pack 2.

lets try something, since the company sent you the recovery disk, lets try the same command only with the recovery disk in the drive instead of the cd you made.

Let me know what happens.

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok did it and it said the same thing!! :tazz: What can we do now? I would hate to wipe out my computer!! Do I have spyware really bad? By looking at that one file did you see anything that I really don't need on my system?

Thank you again for taking the time out to help me!! :)

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
well unfortunately I have tried everything that is in my personal Arsenal of tools, Your machine is clean. From what you are explaining to me it appears that your Registry may be corrupt, probably from your original infection.

I don't use the word defeat often, but I feel that I have been defeated by this issue.

as it stands now, unless someone else in our staff has any ideas, we are pretty much to the point of worse case scenario. Which means starting fresh on your computer so that you can use your programs. If you decide to do this, then it would be prudent to backup and save you important files, that way you can put them back in your system and not lose them. With your cd burner you can save up to 750MB of files, I don't know how much you have on there that you would need saving, so I can't give you an estimate on how many disks it would use.

just to help on this. Important files would of course be any financial documents, Personal information, hard to get programs or programs you have downloaded that you paid for, so you don't have to pay for them again.pay particular attention to the those programs and make sure you get the installers from your hard drive for them.

Let's hope someone can pop up in here with a idea that I haven't tried or don't know about.

I'm sorry I couldn't get this resolved for you :tazz: