Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE or Firefox (PLEASE HELP!)

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for problems with being asked to insert the SP2 CD

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called:

I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like:

C:\I386

-----------------------------

Step 2

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Before this it was asking for the XP Professional SP2 CD, now it asks for the XP Home Edition CD

It keeps asking for it though, so put the mouse over retry and keep clicking it, as it's into three figures and only half way, but at least it hasn't said it cannot do it

Insert the XP /Recovery CD, cancel it when it shows the set up screen

Click start, my computer, right click the drive with XP CD, click explore, click i386 to highlight, click copy, he may need to press x to close the folder display so he can select copy, copy it directly to C

When you edit the registry, click the + for each key then clicks set up, on the right are two similar keys, it is the 2nd of the two, source path

Advertisements

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I will try this and get back to you, please bear with me because like I told dragon I am a blonde when it comes to this computer stuff and thank you for taking the time to help me................

Lecia :tazz:

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Dragon,
Thank you so much for your help!! :tazz:

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Keith,
I did step one on step 2 now remember I'm blonde when it comes to things like this and I am so sorry I typed in regedit in the run box and I found hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\ but didn't see windows\currentversion\setup I am sorry I am so dumb at this stuff!! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For each step click + next to the name rather than click the word microsoft, when you click + next to microsoft it will expand to a large alphabetical list then you need to scroll down to click the + next to current version and so on

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok, I'll try that.... Please bear with me because I have a 2 1/2 year old and I babysit a 11 month old but I will get back to you.

Lecia

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok, I got as far as finding setup and there is no word under setup that says sourcepath......... :tazz:

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yes I am blonde!! I just clicked on the name setup and there is the sourcepath!! It was already changed to c:\ now I'm going to do the other step.

Question................. While I was in the registry editor I notice alot of programs that I del. on my computer that were in the registry, can I do anything with those like del them??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you are sure they have been deleted

Another thing is to get tune up

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Run disc clean up, registry clean up and reg defrag for the registry but you might as well run the lot while you have the trial

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok, I just dowloaded tune up I'm going to log off now and finish the other things you wanted me to do and will get back with you once I'm done.. Thank you for your help!!

Advertisements

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Keith,
I just got done with everything, I think that I did everything right that program that you told me to download is the wipe, do you know of a free program that is like that? I'm going to try to download an ebook and my hallmark card program and I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you so much for your time in helping me....................

:tazz: Lecia

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will have to translate " the wipe " into UK Brit-speak

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

CCleaner has scan for issues, though always take the back up option before removing anything, and repeat the scan until no issues show

Make a folder for saving the back up and name them by date so you know which one to restore if you need to

If you click options then settings you can have it run when Windows loads, to clean things you set it to

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
"the wipe" like it was awsome!! I already have Ccleaner on my computer. What you had me do, how often do I do this? I like how the program you told me to download so I just might buy it............ Thank you again for all of your help!! :tazz: Once the little one goes to bed I am going to try to download an ebook and hallmark.

Lecia

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run disc clean up whenever

Run registry clean up a day or so after installing anything, (this lets things settle in)

You can run registry clean up directly after uninstalling anything

Reg Defrag will either show you how much it can do, or say it does not need it

It should run automatically once a week but you can run 1-Click maintenance whenever you feel there is anything wrong

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thank you!!