Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

workgroup name won't change

• Please log in to reply

mcoste

mcoste

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
We have three computers on a wireless home network. All are runnning Windows XP with SP2. Two computers can see each other (once I switched the workgroup name to "mshome") but the third computer refuses to change its workgroup name.

I have changed the workgroup name by right-clicking My Computer and renaming the workgroup, and it shows the new name on the Properties screen, but when we try to look at all the computers through Network Places "computers in my workgroup," the old workgroup name pops up. If we type in the correct workgroup name, we wind up on the Internet.

The third computer does not show up on either of the other two computers and cannot be accessed by either one. It doesn't see anybody (not even itself) on "Computers Near Me."

We are using a Linksys Router (BEFW1154) which is connected directly to the Internet through a broadband cable. Two computers are connected to the network by Linksys wireless adapter. All devices are working. We all have the same network name (lnksys) on our computers. I have run the Network Setup Wizard and the Wireless Network Wizard a zillion times, and we have tried putting the same IP address in for all computers, hitting the "enable BIOS on IP/ICP" button, and disabling all our virus protection programs. Nothing works.

It seems to me there's a way to force the workgroup name to change, but I can't remember what it is. Any help gratefully accepted.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello mcoste and welcome to G2G, :)

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correctly setting up your File Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File Share Ability for your network?

:tazz: PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-8 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE SHARE NETWORK .

mcoste

mcoste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Space-C:

Here's the info you requested:

1) Operating systems on computers in network: All windows XP with SP2

2) Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapters: Linksys Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter ver. 2.6 #17

3) Model and Manufacturer of the Router: Linksys Wireless Access Point Router with 4-port switch, Model BEFW 1154

4) IP Configuration: DHCP

5) Antivirus programs: Computer A: Ewido Security Suite, Computer B: Norton Security Suite, Computer C: none

6) Firewalls: Computer A: Microsoft Windows, Computer B: Norton, Computer C: Microsoft Windows

7) Pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors: No pop-up or ad blocks, spyware and malware detectors as included in Norton and Ewido Security Suites for Computers A and B.

8) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File Share Ability for your network?
1. Made sure all computers have same workgroup name (computer C refuses to show the workgroup name change, even tho we changed it in computer properties. When we go to "computers near me," screen shows old workgroup name and refuses to show new workgroup name)
2. Clicked "file and printer sharing" in Network Setup Wizard
3. Clicked on "share" in "sharing and security" on files and printers in each computer.

Thanks for your help.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome back mcoste,

Sorry so long on the reply, it has been a very busy week. Please complete process 1 and if your problem still persists then move on to process 2.

PROCESS 1 - Complete the Network Setup Wizard:

1. Double click My Computer icon
2. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
3. Under "Network Tasks" select the "Set up a home or small office network" link
4. When the Network setup wizard appears click "Next"
5. When the second page appears click "Next"
6. When the third Page appears select the "Other" bubble and click "Next"
7. When the fourth page appears select the bubble "This computer connects directly or through a network Hub. Other computer on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."
8. When the fifth page appears under "Computer description" type in "upstairs PC", under "Computer name" type in "Bob's PC" and click "next"
9. When the sixth Page appears under "workgroupe name" type in: "namegroup" - insert your last name in the namegroup and click "next"
10. When the seventh page appears select the "Turn on File and Print Sharing" Bubble and click "next".
11. When the warning comes up asking if your sure you want to turn on file and print sharing just select "yes".
*NOTE* If you do not want to create a self install disk for additional PC's skip the following steps and proceed to Step 11a through 11c at the end of this page.
12. When the seveth page appears click "Next".
13. When the eigth page appears under "What do you want to Do?" Select the "Create a Network Setup Disk" bubble and click "next".
14. When the ninth page appears select the "Format Disk" Button
15. When the format 3 1/2 Floppy (A:) screen appears just click "start"
*NOTE* If you get a warning that says formatting will erase all data - this means it will erase all data on the floppy disc - not on your hard drive
16. When it is done select "ok" then hit the "x" to close out the format screen... this takes you back to page nine and select "next".
17. Now you will a screen that shows files being copied... just wait till its done and you will be automatically sent to screen 10. Just click on "next".
18. When the eleventh page appears just click "finish".
19. Now restart your machine
20. Now go to the next computer and complete the Following

Additional Pc Setup
21. Insert the disk in the A drive
22. Double click the "my computer" icon
23. Select open network setup disk
24. double click "netsetup"
25. If the PC is unable to read the disk then just repeat steps 1-11 and include the following steps (11a-11c) after steps 1-11 have been completed:

11a. When the next page appears select the bubble for "Just finish the wizard" and click on "Next"
11b. When the next screen appears just select "Finish"
11c. Now reboot your PC

-------------ONLY AFTER ALL THESE STEPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED-------------
----------------------------MOVE ON TO PROCESS 2 --------------------------------

PROCESS 2 - View worgroup and Disable Protocol Blockers.

1. Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
2. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
3. Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
4. After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are not showing up then disable the Norton on your Desktop PC and the McAfee on your Notebook PC.
5. Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
6. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
7. Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
8. After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are not showing up then we must GURANTEE that you have shut down all protocol blockers by disabling them through the microsoft configuration tool. Follow these steps to accomplish this:

TO BE DONE ON ALL PC'S ON THE NETWORK - Disabling all active processes for Selective startup troubleshooting:
1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in... msconfig
4. when the System Configuration Utility appears click on the SERVICES tab
5. Check the HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES box
6. Copy down which boxes have a check in them so you can them restore back later
7. Click on the DISABLE ALL Button
8. Click on the STARTUP Tab
9. Copy down which boxes have a check in them so you can them restore back later
10. Click on the DISABLE ALL Button
11. Click on the APPLY Button
12. Click on the OK Button
13. Click on the RESTART Button
14. When the PC restarts check the Selective startup notification box and click on the OK button
15. Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
16. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
17. Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
18. After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are finally showing up then we have verified that a third party program is blocking your share ability. to find out which program it is just simply run the Msconfig again and under the Services and Startup tab... turn the components you unchecked back on one by one until you lose your share ability. If you are still not able to Share then Post back and we will continue with more advanced procedures.

mcoste

mcoste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That was interesting! When I started, each computer could "see" the same two computers. After I followed your directions for Process 1, no computers could see any computers. I tried Process 2, and still nothing.

So I re-instated all the programs I had disabled and decided to change the workgroup name, just to see if that would jolt the system. I changed the workgroup on each computer, then ran the home network wizard and the wireless network wizard on each.

We have three computers on the network: Bill is hardwired to the router, and Tutu and Betsyboth access the network through wireless network adapters. (all network hardware is linksys) Now, when I click on "show computers in workgroup," Bill sees Tutu (but can't access it), Betsy sees herself, and Tutu sees nothing. It would be funny if it weren't so irritating.

Furthermore, Tutu (my computer) had a REALLY hard time re-connecting to the Internet. I had to disable and re-enable the adapter twice and then reboot the computer to get on line.

Can you tell me why Betsy and Tutu (the two computers on the network cards) show TWO wireless networks? One is "default" and one is "linksys." Before I can get my internet connection to work, I have to connect to "default," then to "linksys," but it seems to me that when you connect to one, the other one disconnects. I can't figure out where "default" came from. When I use the wizard, I put in the network name as "linksys."

What do you suggest I do? I am totally baffled. Thanks for all the help so far.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
The second Wireless connection came from running the Wireless network wizard a second time. That wizard is misleading it has nothing to do with file sharing but instead with simply connectivity. Remove the Default connection to eliminate this problem.

Perform the following steps on all three PC's.

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
3. Type in CMD or COMMAND depending on your OS.
4. Type in IPCONFIG and hit enter.
5. Type in Exit and hit enter.
6. Post back the results for all three Pc's.

mcoste

mcoste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Results of checking the ipconfig:
All three computers have the same DNS suffix: hawaii.rr.com
and the same subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
and the same Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The IP addresses are as follows:

Thanks!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Perform the following ping tests, so we can see if the PC's are able to see each other physically:

To be done on BILL

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
4. Type in ping 192.168.1.100 -l 32 -n 25
5. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 1>
6. Type in ping 192.168.1.103 -l 32 -n 25
7. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 2>
8. Type in ping 192.168.1.104 -l 32 -n 25
9. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 3>

To be done on TUTU

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
5. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 4>
7. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 5>
9. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 6>

To be done on BETSY

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
5. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 7>
7. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 8>
9. Copy Results and post in reply as <REPLY 9>

mcoste

mcoste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Cowboy:

Here are the ping results:

On BILL:
1. 192.168.1.100 -l 32 -n 25
Packets sent= 25 Received= 25 Lost=0
Minimum= 0 Maximum= 0 Average= 0

2. 192.168.1.103 -l 32 -n 25
Sent= 25 Received = 24 Lost = 1
Minimum = 3 Maximum = 5 Average = 3

3. 192.168.1.104 -l 23 -n 25
Request timed out.
Sent= 25 Received= 0 Lost = 25

On TUTU:
4. 192.168.1.100 -l 32 -n 25
Sent= 25 Received = 25 Lost = 0
Minimum = 3 Maximum = 2957 Average = 121

5. 192.168.1.103 -l 32 -n 25
Sent = 25 Received = 25 Lost = 0
Minimum = 0 Maximum = 0 Average = 0

6. 192.168.1.104 -l 32 -n 25
Request timed out
Sent = 25 Received = 0 Lost = 25

On BETSY:
7. 192.168.1.100 -l 32 -n 25
Minimum = 2 Maximum - 3202 Average = 131

8. 192.168.1.103 -l 32 -n 25
Sent = 25 Received = 24 Lost = 1
Minimum = 4 Maximum = 6 Average = 4

9. 192.168.1.104 - l 32 -n 25
Request timed out

I don't understand what this tells us, so am looking forward to your interpretation.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
HA, as i thought....

Look at these logs

On BILL:
1. 192.168.1.100 -l 32 -n 25

Bill can ping himself fine since 192.168.1.100 is Bills IP Address

On BILL

192.168.1.103 -l 32 -n 25
Sent= 25 Received = 24 Lost = 1
Minimum = 3 Maximum = 5 Average = 3

Bill can sometime Ping TUTU since TuTu's IP Address is 192.168.1.103, so this must mean that TuTu is fairly close to Bill

On BILL

192.168.1.104 -l 23 -n 25
Request timed out.
Sent= 25 Received= 0 Lost = 25

Bill cannot even see Betsy, so betsy must be far away.

On TUTU

192.168.1.103 -l 32 -n 25
Minimum = 0 Maximum = 0 Average = 0

Tutu can see herself just fine, since her IP Address is 192.168.1.103

On TUTU

192.168.1.100 -l 32 -n 25
Sent= 25 Received = 25 Lost = 0
Minimum = 3 Maximum = 2957 Average = 121

Tutu can sometimes see bill at his address of 192.168.1.100, so he must be close by.

On TUTU

192.168.1.104 -l 32 -n 25
Request timed out

Tutu cannot see Betsy at all since Betsy's Ip address is 192.168.1.104.

On BETSY

192.168.1.104 - l 32 -n 25
Request timed out

Betsy must be mentally challenged as she cannot even see herself at the IP Address of 192.168.1.104, but she can sometimes see TuTu and Sometimes even BILL.

What all this means is that your file sharing isnt NOT working due to a misconfiguration, but instead it is caused by a lack of simple non connectivity between the pc's themselves. we cann tell this by the amount of Packets sent and received on the Ping tests (highlighted in RED).

Here are what my Ping times look Like for a good example:

On STEVE:
192.168.1.101 -l 32 -n 25

Steve can see himself just fine

On STEVE
192.168.1.102 -l 32 -n 25
Minimum= 1 Maximum= 1 Average= 1

Steve can see Mary just fine

On MARY
192.168.1.101 -l 32 -n 25
Minimum= 1 Maximum= 1 Average= 1

Mary can see Steve just fine

On MARY
192.168.1.102 -l 32 -n 25

Mary can see Sherself just fine

Can you now see the differrence between your log and mine.

We need to do some more ping tests to 100% verify this though just to be sure.

On Bill complete these steps:

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
4. Type in... ipconfig ...and copy down your default gateway
5. Type in... ping <DEFAULT GATEWAY from step 3> -L 32 -N 100 ......REMOVE <DEFAULT GATEWAY> and put in what i had you write down - remove the <>....
6. When the test is done copy the results into a reply. labelled <TEST 1>
7. Type in... ping <DEFAULT GATEWAY from step 3> -L 1000 -N 100 ......REMOVE <DEFAULT GATEWAY> and put in what i had you write down - remove the <>....
6. When the test is done copy the results into a reply. labelled <TEST 2>

On Tutu Complete the same steps as on Bill

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
5. Type in... ping <DEFAULT GATEWAY from step 3> -L 32 -N 100 ......REMOVE <DEFAULT GATEWAY> and put in what i had you write down - remove the <>....
6. When the test is done copy the results into a reply. labelled <TEST 3>
7. Type in... ping <DEFAULT GATEWAY from step 3> -L 1000 -N 100 ......REMOVE <DEFAULT GATEWAY> and put in what i had you write down - remove the <>....
6. When the test is done copy the results into a reply. labelled <TEST 4>

On Betsy complete these steps first

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
4. Type in... ping 127.0.0.1 -l 32 -n 100
5. Copy down the results and post in your reply <TEST 5>

On Betsy we also want to do the same steps as Bill

1. Click on START.
2. Click on RUN.
6. When the test is done copy the results into a reply. labelled <TEST 6>
6. When the test is done copy the results into a reply. labelled <TEST 7>

Post back

Advertisements

mcoste

mcoste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I appreciate the explanations. You make it very clear. (and for a non-techie, that's high praise)

Just FYI, all three computers are located in a triangle -- Betsy and Tutu are about 6 feet apart, and Bill is about 9 feet away.

Here are the ping results:
All three computers have the same default gateway -- 192.168.1.1

On BILL:
Test 1:
Sent - 100 Received - 100 Lost - 0
Min - 0 Max - 1 Av - 0

Test 2:
Min - 1 Max - 2 Av - 1

On TUTU:
Test 3:
Sent - 100 Received - 99 Lost - 1
Min - 3 Max 2854 Av - 60

Test 4:
Min - 8 Max - 3304 Av - 42

On Poor Mentally-Challenged Betsy:
Test 5:
Min - 0 Max - 0 Av - 0

Test 6:
Min - 2 Max - 3098 Av - 63

Test 7:
Min - 8 Max - 2719 Av - 36

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Alright now we want to boot your Pc into "Safe Mode With Networking" and repeat the same steps as before. If you need help booting into Safe mode follow these steps:

1. Turn Off your Computer
2. Turn ON your Computer - As soon as your screen shows anything at all start pressing the F8 key repeatedly until you are given the options to select Normal Mode, Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Networking.
3. Using the Up and Down Arrows move the highligh to the "Safe Mode with Networking" and hit "ENTER"
4. Wait for the Pc to Boot up.
5. If given the option to select a User, please select the ADMIN or Administrator Account.
6. Repeat the Ping test as before and post the results back.

mcoste

mcoste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK -- Here are the results of all the ping tests:

Bill:
1. ping 192.168.1.100
Sent - 25 Received - 25 Lost - 0
Min - 0 Max - 0 Av - 0

2. ping 192.168.1.103
Sent - 25 Received - 0 Lost - 25

3. ping 192.168.1.104
Sent - 25 Received - 0 Lost - 25

4. Gateway -l 32 -n 100
Min - 0 Max - 1 Av - 0

5. Gateway -l 1000 -n 100
Sent 100 - Received - 100 Lost - 0
Min - 1 Max - 2 Av - 1

Tutu:
1. ping 192.168.1.100
Min -3 Max - 5 Av - 3

2. ping 192.168.1.103
sent - 25 Received - 0 Lost - 25

3. Ping 192.168.1.104

4. Gateway -l 32 -n 100
sent - 100 Received - 100 Lost - 0
Min - 2 Max - 3199 Av - 64

Min - 8 Max - 3077 Av - 68

Betsy:
1. ping 192.168.1.100
sent - 25 Received - 25 Lost - 0

2. ping 192.168.1.103
sent - 25 received - 25 lost - 0
min - 0 max - 0 av - 0

3. ping 192.168.1.104
sent - 25 received - 0 lost - 25

4. pint 127.0.0.1
sent - 100 received - 100 lost - 0
min - 0 max - 0 av - 0

5. Gateway -l 32 -n 100
min - 2 max - 3140 av - 62

6. Gateway -l 32 -n 1000
min - 0 max - 0 av - 0

That's it! We must be about pinged out by now!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Bill is working fantastic, Tutu and Betsy are our problem children and we know this because we are in safe mode with all other third party programs (is a function of safe mode) disabled.

We also know this because Bill can ping the router (default gateway) fine But he cant Ping Tutu or Betsy very well.

When TuTu tries to ping the router she has problems as seen in Ping # 4 and 5 below. Tutu also has no problems seeing bill as seen in ping # 1. But TuTu also cannot ping Betsy very well as seen in Ping # 3 and also herself in ping # 2.

Tutu:
1. ping 192.168.1.100
Min -3 Max - 5 Av - 3

2. ping 192.168.1.103

3. Ping 192.168.1.104

4. Gateway -l 32 -n 100
Min - 2 Max - 3199 Av - 64

Min - 8 Max - 3077 Av - 68

When Betsy tries to ping the router (default gateway) she also has problems as seen in Ping # 5. Betsy still cannot Ping herself as seen in Ping # 3, but betsy can ping from the PC to the Wireless card installed iinside herself as seen in Ping # 4.

Betsy:
1. ping 192.168.1.100
sent - 25 Received - 25 Lost - 0

2. ping 192.168.1.103
sent - 25 received - 25 lost - 0
min - 0 max - 0 av - 0

3. ping 192.168.1.104
sent - 25 received - 0 lost - 25

4. pint 127.0.0.1
min - 0 max - 0 av - 0

5. Gateway -l 32 -n 100
min - 2 max - 3140 av - 62

6. Gateway -l 32 -n 1000
min - 0 max - 0 av - 0

All of our problems lie with Betsy and TuTu.
Bill is working fine, he can see himself, the router, Betsy and TuTu all fine also.
Tutu is having problems just simply connecting to the router, and also connecting to Betsy.
Betsy is having problems connecting to the router also, and herself.

What we know for sure is that your wireless cards / adapters are fine because everyone can connect to Bill just fine. We also know that there are no third party firewalls, virus scanners, or security suites causing the problems as these are shutdown by default when you enter safe mode. So our problems lies within the configuration of you Network setup or the operating systems themselves on Betsy and TuTu.

Since we have already ran the ntwork setup wizard, disabled all third party programs, and verified physical connectivity between the computers about the only thing left is to verify that the wireless cards / adapters are compatible with the router you are using, Try to restore the router to factory defaults, and rerun your network setup wizard for the two problematic PC's.

I am going to have another trusted tech take a look at our trouble shooting to make sure im not missing anything before we proceede further.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
howdy....pokin my eyes in here for a second....

on betsy (i think this machine is the one with the most problems...either cowboy or mcoste...correct me if i'm wrong but this is the one that can't ping it's own ip right?)

on betsy and tutu (great machine names heheh)...

ping 127.0.0.1 and post the results