Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System will not POST

• Please log in to reply

illwil

illwil

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all. I am having trouble getting my computer to boot up properly. All of the lights come on and I can hear my hard drive's spinning but I get no display. I've tried 3 differnt CPU's and tried switching around the RAM. The speaker is plugged in and I have cleared the CMOS. I first thought it was my video card (ATI All In Wonder 9600 AGP) so I went out and bought a eVGA GeForce 6800 AGP and that didnt help anything. My computer will do the same thing (power on all lights and fans but no display and no beep codes) even after I removed all of the ram and the CPU. So with no CPU or RAM I still get no beep codes, and I know the speaker is plugged in. Any ideas? MSI K7N2 Delta2-ISLR mobo, Athlon 1700, 1800 & 2200 tried. 420W PS The heatsink fan comes on and it is a TT Volcano 6cu. New thermal paste applied each time also.

Edited by illwil, 25 November 2005 - 07:02 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi illwil

Can you try the following things please :

1. Disconnect the main power to your computer & discharge your static

2. Open up the case & disconnect the main ATX connector from the mothernoard

3. Remove any PCI cards you have, external device (except keyboard & monitor) & disconnect the drive ribbon cabling (hard disk/CD/floppy etc) from the motherboard. Leave the power connected to the CDROM drive though.

4. Place the clear cmos jumper in the clear position (pins 2-3) for about 30 secs then return it to pins 1-2.

5. Reconnect the main ATX power connector & make sure the square 4 pin power connected is also connected to the motherboard.

Try & boot up again. If the same problem occurs, remove all the ram AND the video card & try again. Let me know if you hear any beeps this time.

illwil

illwil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have the motherboard out of the case on a card board box with only video, 1 stick of ram (slot1) cpu/heatsink & proper jumpers connected for power/reset and speaker. Still no beep codes and no vid. I am thinkin this mobo is no good possibly?

illwil

illwil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so now I have decided to try my old board. I corrupted the BIOS awhile back on an upgrade, so I stopped using the board. Anyhow, I have it all together on a cardboard box with a floppy drive connected and my BIOS on a floppy disk (amiboot.rom file on there) anyhow, its doing the same thing my other board was doing. no video, no beep codes. the cpu fan and what not comes on and the power supply fan comes on. sounds like its getting the proper power. But now I am wondering if my power supply is the culprit? Would the power supply still pretty much act normal like still turn on and turn the heat sink's fan on but be faulty? I'm at a loss to explain this.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
its very possible that the power supply...is well...just partially bad...but enough to not power up the system completely......if you have another PSU that you could use to test...that would make it easier to tell...or if you have a voltmeter....also...what is the rating on that PSU?

illwil

illwil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
420W is that PSU. i just bought a 480W Antec true power 2.0 just to test. it's not my PSU, its the [bleep] motherboard. has to be, process of elimination.

illwil

illwil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Maybe so how my BIOS got corrupted. I just made a bootable floppy with my flasher and bios on it and also did the same with a bootable CD so when I get home this evening i'll give that a go, if not its RMA time for the mobo (I just bought it) :tazz: