Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Frozen Startup Screen

• Please log in to reply

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:) Please Help! I'm new to forums as in the past I've always managed to fix any minor problems, but this one has me beat!
I have a Dell Inspiron 8500, I was(am) infected with adware.
I had removed most of the adware (there were 84!) and was removing the last persistant adwares(websearch, SeeqBar, Bearshare and lop) when my screen froze.
I was not able to shut down normally so I forced quit using the power button. I then tried to restart and am frozen at the blue Windows XP screen, before the welcome screen. I have tried to reboot in safe mode but it just gets stuck in the same place. The cursor is active but only moves does not perform any function - if I press Enter the computer "Beeps" :tazz: ?

I have tried booting from original XP installation disc (SP1 tho and I'm on SP2 now so not sure if right thing to do?), but I'm not an expert and worried I might damage something? so not sure which course to take next. I have access to another Dell PC so can copy from that, but again not sure what I should copy and what not?

I have nothing else connected (no USB or anything else)
I have tried F8 and rebooting from last known good config..same result - stuck
I am currently using original XP installation disc to try a repair...I've been reading other responses to simliar probs whilst I'm waiting for response...you never know might fix it that why...Ever hopeful!

any ideas...or do I have to re-install XP? I've never done that before as both PC's came with windows installed. (I have reinstalled OS on a Mac..but they're different!)

Edited by Dionysis, 26 November 2005 - 12:15 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

Look for a system checkpoint which is before the problem arose to restore from

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Keith,
Thanks for replying, I tried what you suggested earlier on, but it just kept getting stuck at the same place.

I have however managed to use the original install disc and ran the repair facility and I am now back in business! :tazz: However, it is running very slow so I am currently running anti-virus and anti Malware scans and Cleanup to try to resolve the problem.

I have had real problems removing some adware, which is what I think caused the major screen freeze! I already have the free "Ad-aware" loaded since (jan of this year) but these adwares seem to bypass that. If I run an Ad-aware scan it doesn't pick up the adware, but if I run another one ie "Noadware" it does pick them up! But I have to subscribe to Noadware to get it to remove them. So far I have managed to download "Fix Tools" from Symantec to remove most of them.
Does it mean that I have to purchase an adware system rather than using a free one?

I use "Avast" Anti Virus which seems to be doing it's job. However, if i try to connect to symantec (to get a fix) it just freezes up! I assume whatever I am infected with has protected itself from Symantec? I get around that by getting fix on another computer, putting it on a disc and then running on the laptop. lol!

Also, so far I have had problems connecting to the internet as it just keeps getting error messages "cannot connect to page requested" the interenet is working as I have 3 computers networked through a router and the others are fine. I have found that if I "restart" it seems to work, but that shouldn't be necessary? When I shut down or restart I get another error message " end program - protector.exe...not responding" What is that all about? :)

I know I've thrown a whole kettle of worms at you now...so don't mind dealing with one at a time! :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with the malware team, because any malware will prevent any changes being effective

Malware would possibly affect the connection

You should not have to pay for adware / spyware removal

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, I'm running the ewido scan at the moment...been running for over 2 hours only got to .02% so could take some time! :tazz: I'll do as you say and do a Malware post, thanks :)