Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Odd Startup CPU Usage And Sluggish Computer

• Please log in to reply

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
recently i found that my computer start ups were taking longer then before. i decided to check in taskmanager and see if any programs were taking up resources. during computer boot up, SVCHOST.EXE is taking from 90% to 100% of my CPU resources.
lately i have also knoticed that games are running slower and lagging.
i have spybot, ad aware, spyware blaster, and microsoft anti spyware and have run scans with them. also i have ran a full system scan with norton antivirus and none of these solved the problem of high SVCHOST usage at windows start up

i have a P4 2.53GHZ
1gig ram
9800 pro vid card

any help would be much appriciated

i dont know if this belongs in the malware section or the windows section but since svchost is a windows process i thought id start here

thanks again and look foward to resolving this issue

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
thank you keith that solved the problem of SVCHOST taking up resources :) , but my frame rates in games still drop for some reason :tazz:

for example i would get 99 frames in counterstrike 1.6 if i run around but when shooting or being shot my frames drop to about 30 and fluctuates wildly

i much appriciate any help you can offer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will get a better answer if you start a new topic in the games forum

http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=19