Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp pro taskbar

• Please log in to reply

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Is there a way to see the tabs for programs that are open. For some reason, when my work updated the computers, my terminal no longer displays my open programs. I have to switch between them using alt-tab. I work as a dispatcher in police/fire station. It is kinda essential for me to have those buttons. Please help as the tech staff here is an 80 year old guy that dont even know what gig is.

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
When did this problem start? Did you do anything specific for it to happen so suddenly?

FKG

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Unfortunately it started when the "tech" updated the computers about 7 days ago. Now i cant see any tabs for programs that are open.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jmody...

Download this Application and run it on your machine.

Let us know if it helps...

wannabe1

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thats another problem. I dont have the ability to get online from the terminal that is effected.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Jmody...

You can download it on another machine and install it later...it's a script and is just over 2k in size.

#240 in the left column at Kelly's Korner...http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

wannabe1

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I dont have the ability to download anything to that computer. It is a work computer that im pretty much locked out of. Is there a process that i can be walked through to restart the explorer that that script is trying to do. Through taskmanager or something.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Jmody...

Go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and see if either or both Friend greetings and Winsrv reg are present...if they are, remove them and reboot.

Do you know how to navigate the registry in Registry Editor? There is a way to reset the Taskbar to the default settings, but to do it without using a batch file or vbs package, will make it a very long and tedious job...I am hesitant to even attempt it with an inexperienced user. It is very easy to gink a machine if a mistake is made when editing the registry. :tazz:

wannabe1