Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

thinking of building a new tower

• Please log in to reply

Asgina Waya

Asgina Waya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey all,
I'm new to this site and I'm thinking of building a new tower, becase i can't find any already set up the way i want, but i don't know that much about the component's I'll need for building what i want. If i tell you what i want my computer to be able to do can you put together a list for me and a total of how much it would cost to build?

first off I'm a gamer at heart. so i want to be able to play high end games, on and off the net. so i know I'll need a really good graphics and sound card. i also want it really fast the faster the better. I'd like to have a burner to burn Cd's mp3's and photos. the photos will have to be excellent as i am an amateur photographer also. which brings me to the next thing memory, i will need it maxed out on as much memory as i can get in to it. i also would like to be able to watch my DVDs or play my mp3's on it as well. plus i do allot of organizing my bills on the comp so it also has to be able to keep up professionally. we use a westell dsl router to connect to the net. it also has to have plenty of usb ports for my controllers and digital camera hook ups. i currently have an old jbl pro stereo speakers, but if there is something that will improve my sound let me know. if you can help me come up with what i might need and some prices I'd really appreciate it allot. + can any one explain to me what overclocking is?you can e-mail me back at: [email protected]
thank you very much for your precious time!
waya

Edited by Asgina Waya, 26 November 2005 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
what kinda budget are you looking at , (what you are asking for will run in the region of 3000-4000).

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

(what you are asking for will run in the region of 3000-4000).

Not neccesarily, for about 1600 dollars you can get a FX-55 7800 GT 2 GB dual channel etc

go2 tigerdirect.com 4prices

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
too bad you dont know how to build your own pc it would be alot cheaper than buying from a custom pc place.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont build new high end single core systems these days, and a really good sound card will set you back over 200 quid.

Asgina Waya

Asgina Waya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all, thanks for the replys i'm currently working on getting everything for my new tower as you all supected it is going to be expencive but its a small price to pay for what i want so far the total is $4975 + SH
for the parts were going with the fastest parts and the most g's we can find we are playing with the idea of holding out till a new mother board comes out from china its bigger and better than what we have picked out and can accomidate everything thats going in to this build when i get time i'll post more abut what we are putting into this build including cost i garentee it will not be for the avrege joe price wise! But it will be high end for lol atleast a month or two!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are going full out remeber to look at some water cooling. Its a shame you are US, in the UK we have few companies that do nothing but hand build super systems with their own patented cooling and modded boards.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Well, warriorscot, up in Canada there is VooDoo which is well good. Also, US has Falcon NW which has configurators and has never once fallen behind tech wise.

If you are going all out, you should invest in Dual Core. Also, I would get 4 GB RAM and wait a little until the GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB are out again. That way your system will last 2-3 years before essential upgrades.