Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty ...MP help please?

• Please log in to reply

mpfd

mpfd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I have just bought my 2nd pc and COD. Networked the 2 PCs with a Linksys router. Have DSL (yahoo) . NO firewall internal software running. Version 1.5.

Problem:

Start new game and my wife and I find server we created (on our 2 home PCs) on one of our PCs named "poppy" for instance on "local" games. Try to get my dad to join in from internet down in FLA. but he can't find "poppy" in the list. Called Linksys and triggered/forwarded port 28960. We all can see the same other names in the list, just not ours. I tried enabling DMZ, nothing still. Also, my Dad has cable modem, no router/network or firewall, same version and we can't find the game he starts in the list either. We are looking at "internet"....not "local" of course. We can play each other in someone else's server, but wish to create and play just the 3 of us privately sometimes. Oddly enough,
I took COD to work where only a stand alone dial-up PC, installed it and the same thing....can't find "poppy" no matter if created game at work or wife at home.??? Not using dedicated servers.

Any one help me out there? Very much appreciated.

Thanks,

one frustrated firefighter

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
big long thread here: http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=25785 all about running a cod server at home. should be able to answer your questions there.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
How I learned how to open server is just trial and error. Noone ever told me how to open jack, I learned on my own when I first started opening servers.

Try opening a server with punkbuster disabled. What this does is makes it to where all of you can play on the same server if anyone is sharing a cd key for instance.

Try opening the server with and without pure enabled and see what happens.

The dmz function will work because I used it when I opened servers for cod and uo awhile back.

I dont have the game anymore lol.

good luck.