Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware - spyaxe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ifonlyIknew

ifonlyIknew

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi I posted a log a few months ago about a malware infection. One of you guys were giving me support until we discovered my copy of Windows XP is not valid. At that point the call had to stop until I got a valid copy.

I am purchasing a new copy of Windows XP. My question is when I get it, should I go ahead and install it and then speak to you guys about clearing the infection, OR, should I format the harddisk and start from scratch, would that get rid of the malware?

Thanks
Mark

PS When I got the problem a few months ago, I read your info on Malware and took the reccommended steps, but no joy.

Advertisements

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Welcome back ifonlyIknew

See if you can follow these instructions to insert the valid key:

http://www.mike-devl...windows/key.htm

ifonlyIknew

ifonlyIknew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi g2i2r4, When I do the key generation, I choose Software - Windows XP PRO and mode - BENCHMARK, it processes for a few minutes and then comes up with the message

"Your system can check up to 0.90 CD-Keys per minute.
You should find a valid key every 50 min, and 15 secs"

I'm not sure what this is all about? Isn't this suppose to provide me with a valid key?

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Please follow the instructions here:
http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.

ifonlyIknew

ifonlyIknew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, If I start from scratch save my data, reapply windows xp, re load my data will this get rid of the malware?

I would rather not take this option, however should I definately apply both SP1a and SP2 before we try to remove the malware?

On a previous call I logged I was advised to only install SP1a, not to install SP2 until I had removed the malware. Do you agree with this or do you recommend I just apply both SP1a and SP2?

Thanks
Mark

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
If you suspect you are infected with malware, you definitely should NOT apply SP2. Instead, update through SP1a, and then get a HijackThis log posted. Sp2 should be avoided if possible until after you are free of malware. :tazz:

EDIT:
As there has been no reply from the original poster for more than ten days this topic is now closed.

If you are the original poster and still need assistance, please send me a PM.

Edited by g2i2r4, 20 December 2005 - 04:57 AM.