Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello,and thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

My problem is that when I try and import video into WMM I get the following error message :

EG: The file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Music\Arrested Development - 119 - Best Man for the Gob.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

I don't know what the problem is as I have the necessary codecs to watch the videos on Windows Media Player, but cannot import them to WMM to edit them.Any suggestions ?

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Dr Raoul,

Sorry but what you’re doing does not appear legal and therefore I can't supply support. (Having a television series on your computer which may have been downloaded, if it had come from dvd it would have been an mpeg file and downloaded avi files always have different codecs, so that's how a came to the conclusion) (I apologise if you have a licence to download/have this file, on proof of this I can answer your question).

It's also illegal to edit it this file anyway due to intellectual property and copyright laws, unless you have been granted permission (which is unlikely, unless your a close friend of the producer or have a lot of money).

Edited by st22, 26 November 2005 - 04:30 PM.

MaliceA4thought

MaliceA4thought

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The Dr. is correct about the intellectual property and copyright laws (under the Copyright Act of 1976, the DMCA, GATT, TRIPS, and the EU Copyright Directive.) See 25 NW. J. Int'l L. & Bus. 229 for a complete explanation. The file you are trying to edit is of a commercial nature. Bad news.

Here's my issue: I imported a file from my video camera, tried to open it in WMM, and got the same error message in Windows Movie Maker (with a different file name, of course).

Here's my solution: Import it in a file format that WMM can edit.
THis is only is you're editing video you captured from your camera, and you shot it, and it's not copyrighted material.

There is no law against editing home video you captured from your own camera, but it seems WMM doesn't want me to import it, anyway.

Another question, any good editing software for home movies that is easy to learn and not too expensive?

Edited by MaliceA4thought, 17 December 2005 - 09:58 AM.