Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

free virus protection for the mac?

• Please log in to reply

stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey guys-ive been trying to find some antivirus programs for my emac, its my baby and i dont want it to die because i spent a lot of money on it. is it necessary and if so does anybody know anything good? any help would be appreciated.
:tazz:

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
http://www.mac.com/1..._antivirus.html

robinpow

robinpow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
We are at VERY low risk, however every once in a while... so my suggestion would be McAfee

For many years our protection was free, however those days are now gone. :tazz:

appleswitch

appleswitch

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have never gotten, nor seen anyone I know, get a virus on a mac.

robinpow

robinpow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
As I said very rare, but you just met one. On the other hand it was 1989, and I picked it up at the local MUG. Anyone else remember their Mac+ going off like a fire alarm? :tazz:

I figure the odds are up their with being striked with lighting. On the other hand it can happen.

stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
soon after posting this my mac actually died on me and i had to erase all files to 0's. now i have a purchased norton so it wont happen again. i dont know about ou but i dont like losing months worth of work.

appleswitch

appleswitch

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
What u talkin about fox? macs dont just die, what happend?

stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
my mac wouldnt start up correctly. i tried all the tricks-even tried first aid through the install cds, no go. the only thing i could do to start it back up was to erase EVERYTHING to 0's and lose months worth of work doing so. im unsure whether it was a virus or what but none of the help desks i called ever heard of this happening and had no answers. now i back up my work religiously...

appleswitch

appleswitch

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
did u try an external boot disk?

stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont think so-just the different options on the install cd. does that come with the computer when you buy it?

Advertisements

appleswitch

appleswitch

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
No, If you load an OS (like OS X) on an external drive (like a firewire harddrive or an iPod) and boot of of it you can sometimes get your info backed up.

stupidlikeafox

stupidlikeafox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh. i didnt have any of that any way so i couldnt have. plus it can be placed under the "life's little lessons" category of f*ck ups.

appleswitch

appleswitch

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ive done that also, I once learden a boot trick that could have saved me from having to send my powerbook into apple for weeks, and I learned it like the next day.

Edited by appleswitch, 10 April 2005 - 04:28 PM.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
"Macs are perfect no problems, no viruses, no errors, I luv my Ub3R 5w33T M4C w00T"

appleswitch

appleswitch

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
It was a user error not a computer error, I deleted hardware driving system files of my mac wail in root and then forgot the boot drive setup key thatt would have let me use my external HD as a boot disk and restore my powerbooks health.

Next time your going to make childish comments make sure you know the facts so you dont look like an [bleep]