Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstallation Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

highsociety112

highsociety112

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Recently my dad asked me to come over and install a couple programs on to his computer, but he was unable to log on as an admin. I don't think there is a way to reset the password with out reinstalling the entire system. I already saved the programs and files he needs and now I just wanted to know the proper steps in reinstalling the operating system,

I have the reinstallations CD for Windows XP Professional and also the driver cds that came with the computer.

I have also tried a repair through the reinstallation cd, but it is still password protected for the admin.

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If no password was set then pressing enter may let you on

If not

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

At figure 5 you would need to press D to select the partition, press L to confirm then press enter, look at fig 8

Use the default full format to NTFS which takes a minute per GB of hard drive size

After the format it reboots and installs

highsociety112

highsociety112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah there was a password ....

Perfect reply

thanks for the quick reply Keith

highsociety112

highsociety112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Now that I reformatted the computer the internet now longer works. I tried disconnecting the modem and router to reset it, but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the router has an ethernet cable then you may have to install the drivers for the network card

If you can post the make and model of modem / router and how it is connected to the PC then someone can find what is missing