Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstalling Soundblaster

• Please log in to reply

Skylark55

Skylark55

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Trying to reinstall Soundblaster Live in Windows98. D drive wont read the cd-rom after I insert it. If I use the Run command ie: D:/install or setup I get it's unable to find file. Any ideas? Thank you.[size=2]

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Skylark55

Have you tried accessing the files on the CD using Windows explorer or My Computer instead? If not, then try it. If it still won't read the disk this way, then try a different CD just to make sure that it isn't the drive thats failed. If the drives seems OK, then clean the soundblaster CD with a soft cloth & check for scratches.

The other alternative, just to get your Soundblaster card to work, is to download the driver from Creative's website instead.

Skylark55

Skylark55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. Trying another cd is logical; I'll do that. I did download from Creative and have 4 (inc. an .executable) icons on the desktop but, pardon my ignorance, dont know the next step. I'll check playing another cd for now.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Not sure why you have 4 files. The actual driver itself should be a single .exe file. What are the file extensions of the other three files?

If the exe file is the driver, then double click on it to install the sound card. For future reference though, I don't really recommend saving downloaded files to the desktop. You should create a folder on your hard drive instead (eg C:\downloads) and save to that instead.

Skylark55

Skylark55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I opened the Soundblaster .exe file and I got an operating console on the desktop. But it says it cant connect either because there's no soundcard or somethings wrong with the function (sic). I did, perhaps stupidly uninstall the software, thinking I could simply reinstall from the cd that came with the pc.

BTW I tested it with a music cd it opens the media player but cant play-so the driver's ok.

I was just thinking maybe i should just get a new sound card or not.

(Can I bookmark my posts so I dont have to search through all the new posts when I return?)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
ok, first can you go to :
Start->settings->control panel->system->device manager
Click on the Sound, Video & Games controllers branch to expand it & let me know exactly what you see listed under there. Also let me know if any of the entries have either a yellow '!' or a red cross on them.
Next, look through the rest of device manager. Sometimes Creative cards have their own entry in device manager, outside of the Sound, Video & Games branch. If you see this, let me know. Also look for any other entries named 'unknown device' or similar. These will have a yellow '!' mark on them.

Out of interest, why were you trying to reinstall the soundblaster card anyway?

BTW, re. bookmarking. Everytime someone (such as myself) posts anything in this particular thread, you should receive an email notification. If you click on the link in the email, it will take you straight to your thread.

Skylark55

Skylark55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry I neglected your last response I didnt expect anymore. My apologies. I'll check your last suggestions. I was trying to reinstall soundblaster because after we rehooked the pc after some home renovations I got no sound at all. So, I thought I could reestablish it by uninstalling then reinstalling. Thank you again. [font=Arial][size=3]