Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Cleaning" registry

• Please log in to reply

dwolnie

dwolnie

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I may have a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have 4 people using our home computer, and I frequently run spyware and adware removal programs. Removing the offenders usually leaves unattached registry keys. My system was running quite slow even after cleaning out the spyware and adware, and I read somewhere all those empty keys could be causing the computer to take longer to find what it needed to run. I loaded a reistry cleaner from majorgeeks.com and ran it. My computer ran quicker, at least in my eyes. No programs had any problems running. The program says what it is going to remove, and most of the keys say that there is no assigned values or connections to any programs, and that it is safe to delete them. Now for my stupid question. Are these keys safe to delete?

Advertisements

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
In short, yes. It would be helpful, however, to let us know which program it is you are using to do this.

These keys, as the program says, have no attachment to any programs or assigned values. Just be careful that you aren't using some type of rogue program to do it. If you post back with the name of the program, we can tell you whether or not it's good or post suggestions for good programs to accomplish this if you wish.

Matt :tazz: