Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video blacks out for a sec

• Please log in to reply

Luckey

Luckey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5200. I have all the updates and latest drivers. When I play video's or use my browser alot the screen goes black for a sec then flicks back on again. Some times it will do it a few times over again. I think it may be a refresh rate issue but I don't know alot about video specifics. Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated. Any sites that might help are appreciated too. Thanks!

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I have a geforce fx5600xt, it occasionally did that after i instlalled coolbits, an overclocking tool. I had to remove the tool and reinstall the driver to make it work again. Try turning your monitor to a basic setup like 1024x768 resolution, 32-bit color, and a low (but perfrectly standard) refresh rate like 60Hz. Restart your computer and see if this happens again under the same circumstances. also try with different "display mode timing" settings that should be avalible under the geforce fx5200 control applet.

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have tried messing with the settings and put it at 1024x768 with 60 hertz and it definatly helped. But it still messes up. Just not as much. I looked through Microsoft help and it said to update my BIOS and I talked to company who made my MOBO and it will cost $60 to update. Is that normal because it seems a little steep to me for just updating. I will keep messing with the settings and see if I can't get more of a result. Still, any help is still appreciated. Thanks for the help so far!

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
if you're paying money, somthing is fishy. Bios updates are FREE. for every mobo. unless maybe the manufacturer no longer suppourts it, and your getting a rare file from a 3rd party company. but dont pay for anything. get in contact from someone from the maker of your mobo, and a bios upgrade might do it.

it also could be your monitor, can you check how it runs with a different monitor? maybe borrow one from a friend for an hour?

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a PhoenixMobo and they do all the BIOS Updates through esupport.com. I sent a request for a BIOS update and thats when they told me it would cost 60. I will try using a different moniter though. maybe that will help.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
that still really sounds fishy, you could buy a new motherboard for 60 bucks these days, why would they charge that much for a bios upgrade that changes barely anything?