Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to stop running chkdsk

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, I have a problem. I set chkdsk /t:0 so there is no wait on chkdsk start, so I can't cancel it.
The problem?
Well, I got a crash, my HDD is okay, but I still wanted check it, so I set the chkdsk to run and rebooted. All is okay, however the 4th test from 5 of them (data check) is that crazy slow one, so I want reboot and stop it, but it starting all over again and again and it too more that hour to get into 74%, where it waited about 10min, so I reset the machine - but no, it get again and again...

And I will run chkdsk - but first let me delete many files so the run will be much faster.

Is there a way?

It is a 250G Maxtor 8MB cache drive on PR3800+ machine, and about 220G partion, NTFS.
Need help, has to work, can't wait or can't find a solution, anyone???

Ctrl + C or Esc not helping. Anything can be done??? :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
trodas...

Actually, the test that is taking so long (data) is not checking data...it is checking the data storage area of the hard drive. Deleting files isn't going to make it run any faster. With a HDD the size of yours, it's going to take a while and, unfortunately, I know of no way to change the settings until you are back into Windows. You're just going to have to let it finish...go watch a movie or read a book... :tazz:

wannabe1

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, I has to let it work... :tazz: Nothing other works...

And no, you are wrong. Deleting files make it run much, much - MUCH faster. Of course, I talking about deleting about 20k files inside many directories - this is what slow-down the Scandisk very ficking much :)