Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac and PC networking

• Please log in to reply

astronomus

astronomus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a new iMac G5 and I'm trying to link it to the wireless network I have already between the two PC's in my house. I went through the automatic stuff from the beginning and it says that the built in wirless (airport) capabilities have connected it to the network, but the two problems are:
1. I can't connect to the internet (I get a self assigned IP address, and I don't know what that means)
2. I don't know how to share files between the computers

This is my first mac and to couple that, I'm not great with advanced computer stuff. If anyone had any tips or some sort of walkthrough, that would be great. The two PCs are dells and we have a D-Link network. Thanks.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello astronomus and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I am not a MAC guru but I know alot about networking and just a tiny bit about MAC's, so I will try to help as best I can. Please reply with what OS Version you have on the Pc. Are you just wanting simple internet connectivity from the wireless network or are you wanting to try and Share files with the the two Other Microsoft Os's also.

With internet Connectivity we should be able to get you going, but for File sharing the last I heard, you had to have a program called apple talk installed before you can share and I have no knowledge or training with that program.

Post back if you still need some help connecting to the internet though?