Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer terminology

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cherylruth

cherylruth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm really embarrassed to let everyone see how ignorant I am about EVERYTHING computer related.
I don't understand most of the terms in the instructions. (as a matter of fact, this is my third try at posting!)
Would anyone be so kind as to tell me the meanings of these thingies?
1)What is a "browser", and how does one "close" it? 2)Same with "windows".
3)How do I know if a "program" is running?
4) How do I "back-up" whatever it is I'm supposed to "back-up"?
I'm scared to death to use the "Clean up" program , because I don't want to delete my files, or launch a rocket or something. Is there a kind sole out there who will take pity on me? :tazz:

Advertisements

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Welcome cherylruth to Geeks to Go!

Don't be embarrassed. Let's take it step by step.

A browser is a program that enables you to 'browse' the Internet. Most common is Internet Explorer, but there are other programs available (FireFox, Opera, Avant).

A program is 'running' if it is activated. When you open Internet Explorer, the program will 'run'.

Every program you use will open in a 'window'. If you have Internet Explorer open to view this topic, that's one window. If you have another program active (like AdAware for instance), it will open in another 'window'. That makes two open windows.

'Cleanup 4.0' will remove temporary files only.

I'm not sure about your question on 'backup'. In general it means you keep a copy of what you do in case you need to reverse the process.

Let me know if this is helping you enough.

You can reply to this topic by using the button 'add reply'.

EDIT:
As there has been no reply from the original poster for more than ten days this topic is now closed.

If you are the original poster and still need assistance, please send me a PM.

Edited by g2i2r4, 10 December 2005 - 01:11 PM.