Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Picture at startup

• Please log in to reply

omris01

omris01

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,
My flatmate played around with my computer (Windows ME OS), and now every time I turn the computer on or off, before the Desktop picture appears, there are a few seconds of a really annoying picture that appears on the screen.
I ran Antivirus/Hijackthis/Ad-Aware, but the picture remains. It doesn't seem like anything malicious, but I'm not sure.
What can I do? Where do I access the startup options?

Thanks a lot!!

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
sounds like your friend created a logo.sys file. ME, unlike earlier versions of windows, doesn't normally have a logo.sys file, it boots an image from the io.sys file... but, if a logo.sys image is created and put in the root directory, win me will use it. So, open Windows Explorer, go to your c:\ folder, and see if there's a logo.sys file there (it's really just a bmp graphic file, but it may be a hidden file, so might not show up under windows explorer, so you might need to change Windows Explorer to show ALL files). If you find a logo.sys file, just rename it logo.sy_ and reboot

omris01

omris01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello...
I tried to look for the logo.sys file but couldn't find it. Could it be another file that is responsible for the picture at startup (before the appearance of the desktop picture), and right before windows exits at restart/shutdown?

Thanks for the help...

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
ok, this is not the regular Windows ME splash screen you're talking about? After that ends, you get the annoying pic just before your wallpaper comes on?

OK, that's a different problem... there is probably a bmp image loading under the image you want as your desktop background

Try this:
right click on your background, and choose properties, then go to the desktop properties and the background. Select None and hit apply. Then, select the background you want, and apply. You can also get rid of it by just using another bmp image as wallpaper (not a jpg)

omris01

omris01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey there Mr. Wellman...
thanx for the assitance, it worked.

omris01