Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

gufur

gufur

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have just bought a Nvidia GeForce 6600 "Point Of View" graphics card.
the first week there where no problems but now, my computer keeps crashing. It says "Nvida Graphics: No Specific solution found".

NOTE: These problems do only accur while i am playing Guild Wars! :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi gufur!

The next time your computer freezes, take off the side panel of your comuputer and [b]GENTLY[b] touch the video card's heatsink and see how hot it is too touch.

I would also suggest that you download and install Speedfan using the link in my signature.

Also, how many fans do you have installed inside your computer?

Fenor

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

because you have just installed a new card you should run drivercleaner, remove all drivers relating to video then reinstall the drivers that came with the card. This will ensure all old drivers from the old card are removed, sometimes removing them thru add remove programs or other ain't good enough and rements remain that cause problems.

Also follow fenor's good advice to make sure the card is not overheating.

Rick

gufur

gufur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, i have downloaded SpeedFan and Driver Cleaner. Now, i have noticed that Temp 3 in SpeedFan is overheating AND (Most Important) It is my graphics card that is overheating. What Shall i do?

I Ran Drivercleaner and cleaned nVidia files, Then, what shall i do?

gufur

gufur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is really weird, When i play Guild Wars. The temprature goes up to 50 degrees, and when i quit, it goes back to 39 in just a matter of seconds :tazz:

By the way, i reinstalled the graphics drivers.

And, I have 3 fans, 1 on the processor (Motherboard) one on the Graphics card (A Small one) and at last, one in the power supply. (the one in the power supply is not working that good, I am going to buy a new power supply as soon i get my peycheck :) )

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
for the gpu get an 80mm fan. it will cool it down. also you might have oc'ed your card to much and thats why it crashes. under clock it to see if that helps

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

This is really weird, When i play Guild Wars. The temprature goes up to 50 degrees, and when i quit, it goes back to 39 in just a matter of seconds :tazz:

This is not weired. It's normal. CPU tempreature goes up and down very quickly and there is no problem here. If it stablize at 50 degrees maximum I wouldn't worry at all. There are some possibilities for the crash and a too weak or faulty power supply is certainly one of them. Since you plan to replace it do that and see what happens. If you feel that the graphic card gets too hot consider adding another fan, preferably on the side cover as close as possible to the card. Also arrange IDE flat cables in a way that minimize obstruction to air circulation. Make sure that there is enough space between the card and other cards to ensure free circulation.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What do you mean the fan in the psu ain't working so good?

Follow y.a's advice it is very good and report back when you get the new psu in there.

Rick

gufur

gufur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, my computer have crashed 2 times since i ran drivercleaner and reinstalled the drivers.

Now, i have got the link which describes the problem. Here it is: http://oca.microsoft...75a5f68&SID=271

:tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you replaced the psu? I think that this should be your next step. Buy one with an output of 450-500W. I may sound like an heretic but if budget is an issue, get a simple, generic product. In most cases they give good service, just like others that cost four time as much.

gufur

gufur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, now. I have checked some other forums and deselected the "Automatic Reboot" Button in my computer, so now, when the computer crashes. There comes up a "Blue Screen of death" with a lot of codes and something with a file called: nv4_disp What is that file? is it a virus or just something that doesnt exist in my computer?

gufur

gufur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
AND, i have NOT got a new PSU, YET ..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://forums.nvidia...indpost&p=52623

It is a beta fix so set a system restore point before running it

gufur

gufur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have now a 550W PSU and it KEEPS crashing. I have no idea what to do ...

Is there a virus/malware/spyware that can do any of these things?

gufur

gufur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, I think i solved it myself. This is how i did:

Rebooted in safe mood, removed old drivers with drivercleaner, installed new drivers, rebooted in normal mode ... DONE :tazz:

Thanks a lot for the help! When you told me to get a new powersupply i checked my old one, It was a 250W psu, which is kinda low ...