Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Acting Sluggish

• Please log in to reply

dianab9311

dianab9311

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've got XP Home and I'm pretty certain this isn't a spyware issue (I run Adaware, Spybot and Win Patrol pretty religiously).

Over the course a few hours of use, the same thing happens again and again: First MS Word will start to be sluggish. When I backspace, it won't respond immediately. It hesitates a bit before completing the command.

Then I'll find that I can't use the minimized tabs in the taskbar to switch from one open app to another. I'll have to use the minimize button at the top right.

Then, if I step away for a moment and come back (and my screen saver is running), I have to do control-alt-delete to get back to my desktop and the task bar is gone. Then I have to reboot and it starts all over again.

This has been going on for two days now - ever since Friday night's Windows Update.

Also, I want to add that if I do control-alt-delete, there's a strange thing running in my windows task manager:
{DF4DDDE1-F540-11D2-9540-0040052FC4F9}

Any advice would be super appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by dianab9311, 27 November 2005 - 09:28 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi,

Try a System Restore to a date prior to your problem starting,

You will not lose any files or data.

Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and select Restore my Computer to an Earlier Time.

Follow the prompts. Select a date just prior to your problem starting.

Edited by 1069, 27 November 2005 - 10:02 AM.