Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unsuccessful virus removal, now stuck in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

humming1955

humming1955

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll start by saying I cannot supply a HijackThis log as the computer is in a frozen state right now. Here's the background: My daughter's computer, Windows XP, has a Trojan.Vundo virus for the second time. I was able to remove it successfully the first time using the tool from Norton. This time, several weeks later, there is a file that is remaining. It is called System32\sstqn.dll. The window message I'm getting is that it cannot be deleted as it is being used by another program. I tried to figure out what program, to no avail. So, I thought I would put the computer in safe mode in hopes that the program using it would not open. I had also turned off system restore as instructed in the Norton tutorials. When the computer tried to restart after I placed it in safe mode, it only got as far as asking for the log-in password. I had to use the daughter's because we have no administrator one assigned to the computer. The screen is now "stuck" on the black screen with safe mode in all four corners with the mouse arrow. System restore is still turned off. I think a little knowledge was dangerous for me..... I was directed to this forum from the windows XP forum for your input, then directed to go back to the other forum for further assistance?

Thanks to you for helping me resolve this.

Advertisements

humming1955

humming1955

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am writing to say that I solved my own problem with stuck safe mode. Actually I feel quite foolish, but I learn as I go. All I had to do was go in as administrator and go thru ctrl-alt-del to get to task manager to run msconfig and get out of safeboot. Now, I will continue trying to fix the vundo virus problem. I may post a Hijack This log later this week if I can't figure anything out by reading some of the other posts here. Thanks.