Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer does not boot after memory installation

• Please log in to reply

pera00

pera00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes, it is Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (6Y080L). The low level format will erase all the data on the drive, right?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes it will, you would also need to repartition the drive but the windows XP disk will do that if you can get it to run,

but again lets see what dsenette has up his sleeve.

Maxtor has the tools on its website to do this they are free and available for download

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Also the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ has the maxtor tools on it but you would have to create a iso image for the cd to be bootable.

Directions here

pera00

pera00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I found Maxtor's PowerMax and MaxBlast 4 on their website and planned to use the PM to diagnose the drive first and possibly MB if needed. Do you think I should go with the UBCD instead? In either case I will have to burn at least one ISO image on a cd.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea you could use UBCD it has the same software as the maxtor site plus a lot of other goodies like memtest86 that we may need later

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
doby...i've got that process started....pmed a link to my UBCD compilation...it'll save time on the set up...

pera...let me know when you get that cd burned

pera00

pera00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
dsenette,

I just finished burning the cd. It is ready to go, as am I, anxiously waiting to get to my hdd.
So, where do we start?

pera00

pera00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Son of a beach! I tried to boot to UBCD and got the following screen:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntfs.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is teh first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Saef Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE1252000, 0x00000000, 0xF8AE6D29, 0x00000001)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F8AE6D29 base at F8A95000, DateStamp 41107eea"

So, basically the error message is the same message as before, just the addresses or numbers in the end are slightly different. This can't be too good, right?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just to check the process.....

you burnt the ubcd as a bootable iso cd right?
then you put it in the cd drive...booted up and selected to boot from the cd?

pera00

pera00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Exactly did that. At the bottom of the screen it shows a white progress bar and says something like "Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows starting". It won't get too far before the blue screen with the text that I quoted in a previous post shows up.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alright....you've got a deep seated hardware problem...

pera00

pera00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
It seems that I have a major problem. This is so frustrating. Do you think it is a (very) bad file, such as ntfs.sys on the hdd that prevents me from booting or do you think it is something completely different? I just wonder if I could throw in another clean hdd and install XP and all the programs on it and continue using the computer at least? I'd be willing to buy another hdd if it would let me access the computer and worry about the files or this "bad" hdd later.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....this issue is one of two things...it's either ram...(which..right now sound's most likely) or the HDD....something about the memory that you installed was wrong...or something in the way you installed it was wrong.....

the UBCD boots independant of the HD....if everything else is working....then you don't even really need an HD...it just occupies ram...whcih is why i'm thinking theere is something wrong here...

pera00

pera00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I would agree with your thinking about the RAM, except that when I took out the hdd and installed it in another computer as a slave, the computer would not even boot up. Once I removed this drive, the other computer just booted fine.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and that's the problem....it could be a multitude of problems...i'm trying to narrow it down for you