Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Clean my hard disk

• Please log in to reply

DarkDante2

DarkDante2

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have tried to clean my hard drive, but have encountered problems doing so. I have run the CleanUp utility and tried to defrag my drive. I have very limited storage space. I have also deleted some programs in order to regain valuable space. My drive is 36.6 G and I only have about 34.4 left. I have looked through the program files and none of those folders have a great amount of data. My OS is XP Home Edition. That only leaves me to wonder if all the excess bytes are in the Windows system folder or another area. What program do u suggest in running and what other measures should I take?

I would appreciate anybodys help w/ this matter.

Rick

Edited by DarkDante2, 27 November 2005 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options, clean restore points, reboot and click start, my computer, hold the mouse over the local drive to see the available space

DarkDante2

DarkDante2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I followed your instructions and only gained about half a gig. I now have 2 g and 33 g of used space. I keep checking the programs and I don't have that much info there. I also checked the mp3 there and it has 5 g of music. I can't seem to locate the rest of the cunning bytes. Last time I had to much overused space i found a folder in Windows that had nothing but old files. I deleted it and I gained about 50% of my space back. I looked for it this time and can't find it. It had all kinds of gibberish code on it. I had read somewhere that it wasn't needed so I deleted it. I can't seem to find it. I was wondering if there was such a program that would delete those? Thank u for your help.

Rick

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Clck start, my computer, local disk, this should show 10 folders, approx, right click each folder then properties then wait till it shows the size of each folder, expect Windows to be near 4GB, deduct 2GB for the drive not showing its full size, deduct 12% for system restore.

Programme files may be another 4GB, when you get to my documents, click explore then right click a folder, click properties to get the size, then see what yo do not want to keep

With programme files, some programmes retain all files from installation to the latest update and could be 4 times larger than they need to be, however, before you delete any of these, check you have access to the latest updated version

Also check shared documents to see if you have unnecessary bits there

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds to me like it's time to shop around for another hard drive to be set up as slave (or cable select in the slave position) to the one you have.I've seen 80gb drives on sale for as little as $30, and setting one up is an easy project if your computer has room for one.

DarkDante2

DarkDante2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank u Keith and Tyger,

I appreciate the time u took to help me out. The info u suggested helped w/ my problem. I will shop around for a new drive. Again, thank u for your time and I hope u have a good day.

Rick