Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help removing Winhound [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

baron55

baron55

• Pip
  • 2 posts
While researching Medicare Part D info for 2 hours online, Winhound downloaded and installed on my PC (Windows 98, PIII, IE6). I used Adware SE to eliminate the critical objects, found and deleted the Winhound install file, deleted C:\temp files and temp internet files, and eliminated reference to Winhound in the registry. Now, as soon as i go online, Winhound starts downloading again and some other data transfer is occuring. i am unable to use my PC to download the fixes offered on your site. Is there anyway i can get online with my PC to download the required tools without Winhound activating the data transfer?

Advertisements

John McKenna

John McKenna

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Hi Baron and welcome to Geeks. :tazz:

The only way I can help you is if I see a HijackThis log to start with.

If you have a firewall installed on your machine, look in the application rules and deny access to Winhound.exe for starters.

I then need you to download HijackThis_sfx.exe (it's a tiny download). Then disconnect from the internet if you have to.

Double-click the file you've downloaded and click the UnZip button to install the program.

It will install to the C:\Program Files\HijackThis\ folder by default.

Reconnect to the net and post the log in this thread please.

Keeping Track of Your Topic
  • Please subscribe to this thread by clicking 'Track this topic' at the top of the thread.
  • Enable email notification to subscribed threads via the My Controls link above.
  • Keep ALL future replies in this thread please.

baron55

baron55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply, John. I was successful removing winhound by using AVG anti virus latest definitions and Ad-Aware. It was necessary to replace an infected wininet.dll file as well. Thanks again.
Baron55

John McKenna

John McKenna

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Great stuff Baron, glad you sorted it. :tazz:

Click on the following tutorial and follow each step listed there:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

John McKenna

John McKenna

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.