Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

inconsistent wirless access

• Please log in to reply

connie

connie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having difficulty with wireless disconnect issues. I have an eMachine 2352, with a Broadcom 802.11g network adapter and a linksys befw11s4 router and a cable modem. I have had the computer about five months and the problem only occurs at home. (I did have some difficulty in the first few months connecting with other wireless networks on occasion, but my wireless access at work seems fine.)
As long as I am hardwired to the router, my connections are fine -- the wireless connection shows up and the local area connection is fine. When I disconnect from the local area connection (unplug the ethernet), the wireless access works for a short while, but usually within five to thirty-five minutes it loses it's connection. If I plug back in via ethernet, my local area connection is fine, but in order to re-establish a wireless connection, I have to power down the modem, the router and my laptop. This is getting highly annoying. :tazz:
Any ideas? Please help!

Note: One other problem sometimes occurs -- at times, even when I show a connection, I am not able to access the web or my email. I have a strong signal to my network supposedly, but it does me no good. My kids' computer is like that all the time -- but since they are so little and I only let them go online with me on my computer, I've never bothered to invest the time to investigate.

Thanks in advance ~
Connie

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I wish I could help, I'm not really that skilled with wireless networks. I will set one up for my home soon hopefully just for the sole reason of being able to troubleshoot them. I have a network now, but it's hardwired. I'm sure there will be other staff that have some ideas, just hang in there.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

citab

citab

IT Professional

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi ,

What WiFi settings are you using? WEP ... WPA ?

Have you any other WiFi AP's around that may be interfearing with yours. Maybe switching to another channel would help?

connie

connie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't think I know. :tazz:
Data encryption is disabled for the network.
I do have 2.4 gHz cordless phones, but I haven't noticed any correlation between the disconnections and the phone. Today I experience both problems again that I described in my first email. When I was working wireless, at first I lost my wireless connection. I shut down my laptop and restarted and the connection was re-established. Then a little later, while I was still working wireless, my connection indicated that it was fine, but my internet access wasn't working. That time we powered down the router and it re-connected and worked again. It seems like two different kinds of problems entirely. And I'm still pretty clueless.
Any chance we need a new router? Or could my network adapter be this flaky?
Thanks for any help you might be able to offer ~
Connie

citab

citab

IT Professional

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't think you need a new router. I have a Linksys myself and it works flawlessly, but I have Linksys WiFi cards too.

I have friends that come over with other types of cards and they experience what you are talking about. I loan them one of mine and the problem goes away. Built in wireless radios are nice, but they may not play well with your router. My suggestion would be to get a new Linksys Wireless-G card. They are about $50.00 but worth it.

You could still use the built-in in coffee shops and such. ;-)

HTH,

Don