Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Bridging

• Please log in to reply

joe t..

joe t..

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Allright, this is how its setup right now. My Cable Modem -->Computer then Computer --> xbox. my internet works fine for the computer but when i try signing into xbox live it says that "No DNC Server adresses were recieved from the DHCP or PPPoE server." im using a patch cable from my computer to xbox. ive heard you HAVE to use a crossover. if i use a crossover will this work? thanks alot. I have the 2 ethernet ports in my computer and both are working. i have the 2 connections bridged in "Network Connections" and it shows that everythign is getting internet.

Edited by joe t.., 27 November 2005 - 01:36 PM.

Advertisements

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
From what I know, you MUST use a crossover cable when connecting an X-Box to any internet source. I'd give it a shot and see if it works.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The error is saying that it is not getting a response to a DHCP server, which is used to assign an IP address. This service is most likely not running on your machine, but it can also be that you are not connecting.

A crossover cable is normally needed when you are connecting directly to another machine, instead of a hub or router (or other network equipment). Often the port have LEDs which give a status of the connection, if it does not show that it is connected, then you need to use a crossover (or a router).

You can get routers pretty cheap, so you might want to consider that. If you get one with a builtin firewall, it will also help to protect your machine. If you get a crossover cable make sure that it is marked as such so you don't get it confused with other cables.

joe t..

joe t..

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yea, its definetly a crossover cable that is needed because xbox even says that i might need the cable. im bridging for a reason, and i do have a router.

joe t..

joe t..

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
allright, well i got the cross-over cable and i hooked everything up. but for some [bleep] reason the xbox does not want to connect. i called up my ISP(Optiumum Online) and they dsidnt want to help me with it. just told me to get a router. the guy said i would need a network tech to set it up. but if anyone could help, that would be soo insanely good. and if you cant help or dont have anything usefull to say, please dont say it. i DO NOT want a router, just saying that now. i want this bridge connection to work. my computer gets internet perfectly, but my xbox does not want to get it. i think that my xbox is not getting assaigned an ip. so if anyone can help. thanks.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Unless you install and run DHCP on your computer, the xbox will not be able to get an IP address automatically assigned, as well, the computer will not be able to automatically get the address assigned on that port.

So, since you don't want to go the easy router of a router, you will need to manually configure the IP address for the xbox, which I assume there is a way to do that, but I don't know the unit. You will also need to assign an IP address for the interface that is used to talk to the xbox. You can use something like 192.168.123.X with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.