Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

when i open system restore i get a blank screen

• Please log in to reply

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
its the file jscript.dll

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The one I downloaded from the same link was compressed....curious that your's was not.... :)

Skip the extract the file part of my previous post and just do the copy/paste into the System32 folder.

I'm glad the Device Manager was populated...there is a particularly nasty piece of malware that can cause some of Windows utilities to show up empty......I hate malware... :tazz:

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 i cant copy or paste the file to the system 32 folder dont know why

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open the System32 folder and look for any dll file in there. Does the icon on your desktop look like the dll icons in the folder?

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1....yes they look the same

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
jscript.dll is in there i just spotted it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I figured it was there, but it may be damaged. I'd like to replace it with a fresh version. Were you planning on doing a system restore when you discovered your problem...I may have another option for you that will repair your current issue and any others at the same time....

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i was planning on doing a system restore but i would like to try your way

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...do you have your XP installation CD? Is it OEM (Dell, HP...) or a retail version?

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i dont have it a while back it broke in side the tray and damaged the drive which was an 8x speed so i got a new one 16x speed i do have a win xp home edition cd but its service pack 1 and i have service pack 2 installed could i remove service pack 2 and install this one another problem is i cant find service pack 2 on my comp its not in add and remove i dont know where it is

Advertisements

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
its a retail version samton is the comp manafacture

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Alrighty then...

We'll take on the SP2 issue if we have to (there are other ways to uninstall it)...for now I think we're ok.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up and will perform a very thorough scan of your hard drive so restart will take a while...be patient.

If this fails due to the SP2 problem, post back and we'll deal with it... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 27 November 2005 - 10:30 PM.

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
ok i will do that now and thanks for all the help you are giving me i relly apreciate it wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No problem, ongoing...let me know how you fare with this. This IS a long check :) be patient....

Just so you know what's going on, this will compare the system files on you machine with those on the cd and repair or replace any that are damaged or corrupt...then it's going to check all the sectors on the drive to make sure they are reliable...... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 27 November 2005 - 10:40 PM.

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1..........i did the scan then i did the scan on reboot and it froze at 4 of 5 i waited but it stayed at 0