Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

when i open system restore i get a blank screen

• Please log in to reply

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
no didint say

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try chkdsk again, only this time let's not have it check the drive for bad sectors...that's where it appeared to hang last time.

Click Start then Run and type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and click "OK". This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y at the prompt and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this operation! It should not take as long this time as it did the last. Run it two times in a row.....

Edited by wannabe1, 28 November 2005 - 07:47 PM.

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1.........did the scan twice what now

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were there any messages indicating that the chkdsk had found damaged or corrupt files and fixed or replaced them?

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i didint get a chance to read it it was gone before i had a chance to look through it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you tried to copy and paste the Jscript.dll file into the system32 folder, what exactly happened, were you prompted to overwrite or replace the current file, did it appear to not copy or paste, or did it just do nothing at all?

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
did nothing at all

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try it again...this time, left click on the file and press the Ctrl and C keys at the same time. Open the System32 folder, left click on a blank area and press the Ctrl and V keys at the same time. If you get the prompt to replace or overwrite the file, accept it.

Let me know if this works...

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
did that and it worked

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 it was when sp2 was updateing the reg key when it stopped installing

Advertisements

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
what do i do next

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ongoing...

Hang on just a bit...we may be looking at a new issue caused by something as yet unknown...I am actively researching whether this might be caused by a recent update from Microsoft. I have e-mailed Microsoft with some questions regarding several updates and the issues surrounding them. I'd like to wait for their reply before we continue... :tazz:

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
ok no prob

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 i found a fix i have system restore working again and help and support...and the other programmes that where showing up blank...........mabey this will help some others with the same issues........go to start press run and type each command one at a time pressing enter after each one...............regsvr32 jscript......regsvr32 vbscript........regsvr32 /i mshtml

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for posting your fix, ongoing...Can't help but wonder what Microsoft is going to come up with....If they ever answer my e-mail. I'll post their reply here when I receive it.

Glad your problem is solved...Good Work! :tazz:

wannabe1