Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

when i open system restore i get a blank screen

• Please log in to reply

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabw1 i tried to uninstall sp2 from ..........c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe........but no luck......then i went to search all files and folders ticked the top 3 selected hard drive c typed in spuninst.exe got up a whole load of them but i dont know which one to uninstall

Advertisements

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 do i have to start a new topic?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ongoing...

Sorry...Ii've been getting called out of the office a lot the last few days...lost track of things a little.

The file you are looking for to start the SP2 Uninstaller should be located about half way down the list (near the top of the files listed in blue) and will be named spuninst.exe........ C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackU... Right click on spuninst.exe and choose "Open Containing Folder" Double click on the "Computer Icon" to start the application.

Let me know if this starts the uninstaller and if you are able to uninstall SP2...

BTW...Microsoft says "We are unaware of any problems of this nature being caused by recent Windows Update installations..."

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 the file name c:\windows\$ntservicepacku.........is not there looked throught the lot couldnt see it i dont know what to do comp is starting to drive me nuts........also the chkdsk /r sane is still not checking the bad sectors........ :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ongoing...

Have you got your folder options settings set to show hidden files?

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
yes i have the folder options set to show hidden files

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 i have tried everything u told me but still cant find the sp2 uninstall.......i dont know what to do

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
its strange that i cant find sp2 its on my comp........is it possible that it is there but under a differant heading in a file is that possible?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, and type services.msc...click "Ok". Double click on "Cryptographic Services". If the service has a start up type of manual or disabled set it to automatic.

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackU... and open the folder (double click on it) if it is there. Look for the folder named spuninst and open it. Double click spuninst.exe.

If this folder isn't there, try installing SP2 again.

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i managed to install sp1 on my comp did a clean install removed sp2 version everything is working so far hope it stays that way

Advertisements

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 i have another problem after managing to get win xp home edition installed there is a problem in device manager ..........in other devices,,,, all the programmes have a yellow ? mark next to them.......i also got a error anti spyware......an unexpected problem was encountered..........error ox8ooo4oo3......i dont know what happened

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ongoing...

I'll need to know what these other devices are...Can you right click on them one at a time, choose Properties, and post back here with what they are? Alternatively, you could post me a screenshot of Device Manager.

Please download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it using the "Report" icon, choose "All Pages" and then "HTML". Attach a log to this thread. This will give me your system info so I can help you find the missing drivers.

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
heres the log........EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.

Removed at the request of Wannabe1

Not very big was it?????

Reckon the site will load quicker with that one out of the way :tazz:

Edited by Keith, 05 December 2005 - 06:24 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ongoing...

Please edit your log out of your previous post, leaving just the header. I have copied it for reference. There is some personal info displayed there that is best kept private.... :tazz:

I'll still need to know what devices are problematic in Device Manager so I can pair them with drivers. :)

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 other devices are.......................multimedia audio controller.........pci simple communications controller.......universal serial bus usb controller....video controller vga compatible.........how do i edit a log