Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firewall?

• Please log in to reply

drewmacd

drewmacd

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hello. i was just wondering if you could think of any reason my email wont work and why i cant "direct connect" using AOL Instant messaging. im thinking it might be the firewall. I just upgraded ZoneAlarm, that might be it, but i have tried to configure different settings..but nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Advertisements

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
You might try right clicking on zonealarms icon in the system try (you might need to click (<) and quitting zonealarm temporarily to establish if zonealarm is the problem or not.

drewmacd

drewmacd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I tried shutting down zone alarm completly and checking my email and AIM...but it still doesnt work. One idea i had was to find the old version of zonealarm somewhere and re-installing that.

thanks for your help, any thing else will be appreciated :-d

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
How about web browsing? Does that work?

drewmacd

drewmacd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes, i have been doing perfect with web browsing.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
How about completely uninstalling any firewalls? Also, if you're running peerguardian, quit that too. Check the settings for the programs with problems, ie. make sure they arent set to a non-existant proxy. Do you get any errors at all when it doesnt work? Ie. does it say timed out when trying to connect to mail.isp.com? One sledge hammer approach would be to try completely removing all of the networking and re-installing the network card drivers, TCPIP, File + Printer sharing etc. But I'd try this last since you can web browse...

drewmacd

drewmacd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ill uninstall zonealarm. should i just use windows firewall? the reason i got zone alarm was because the windows FW kept switchin to OFF, and i didnt wanna go back and forth all the time, i already got one big virus on here because of it (cleared that up already). i can stay on windows for a while, although i would like to install another firewall sometime. any suggestions for that instead of zonealarm perhaps?

I do get a "Timed Out" message after waiting to connect on Outlook express. i am in college and i use the mail.maine.edu isp for outgoing and mail.adelphia.net for incoming emails.

as for the sledge hammer approach, i think ill keep that last on my list :tazz:

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
At least uninstall zonealarm temporarily to see if it's the problem. You could try kiero personal firewall down the track, I reccomend it since it doesnt have the bug that zonealarm has (it keeps on asking you something and refuses to remember).