Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pinnacle Studio Plus Version 9

• Please log in to reply

ccp

ccp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Pinnacle Studio Plus Version 9 video editing program and I'm editing a very long movie (2 hours 46 minutes so far). I have the movie captured and edited except for the last hour. I still need to capture that from my Cannon ZR100 digital video camcorder tape onto my hard drive. However, Pinnacle has filled up 3/4 of my hard drive to the point it is operating very slowly and now it freezes up before the capture process of that last tape can be completed. Is there a way I can delete the other captured video clips (since I'm through using them) from my hard drive to free up some space? I don't want to interfere with my almost completed, edited movie though since it represents hours and hours and hours of work. If anyone has an answer for me, please make it as simple and step-by-step as possible because I'm not very computer smart! So, I need simple instructions of how to delete those video clips. I'm sure I'll have more questions about Pinnacle as I get ready to burn the movie to DVD. I'm already wondering if this will fill up more than one DVD. How can I tell how much a DVD will hold? If necessary, how can I divide my movie up to fit on two DVD's? My very sincere thanks to anyone who can help me with this one.

Edited by ccp, 27 November 2005 - 05:01 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
DVD Disc say 4.7GB but reckon on 4.3GB

You can defragment the drive as capture will have fragmented it

You can move the unwanted files as far as the recycle bin, check the movie will play as you want it then delete the files in the recycle bin, though to be safe, copy the bit you have completed to DVDRW Disc, (also a copy), check they play, then delete all captured files then you can finish the editing, load the other part from the DVDRW Disc then copy it as a complete work

If you right click a file then properties it will give you the size, once it gets to 4.3GB then stop adding to it as this will use a DVD Disc

ccp

ccp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your quick reply, Keith. I'm anxious to try your solutions, but I think it'll be two or three days before I'll have the time. As soon as I try it, I'll let you know what happens. I think my computer is set up to automatically periodically defragment, but I'll manually do it just to be sure. Thanks so much. ccp

ccp

ccp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Keith,

I finally got my 3 1/2 hour movie all edited and ready to burn to a DVD. Now it tells me that it is too big for a DVD. I knew it wouldn't all fit on one DVD, but can you tell me how to break the movie up into 3 or 4 DVD's? I've burned two short movies and that worked just fine. Thanks for your help.

I decided to save my movie again by another name and just delete all clips until I have the right amount of movie that will fit on one DVD. Then I guess I'll burn it and then I'll delete the first part and the last part and just burn the middle part. Then I'll delete all of the first parts of the movie and just burn the last part. It'll take a long, long time to delete and re-edit all of that, but it's the only way I can figure out how to divide the movie up so it'll fit on the DVD's. Whatdayathink????

Now I tried that and my Pennacle froze up and gave me an error message that says, "Pennacle Studio Plus has run out of memory and has to shut down now. Your current project will be saved. If the problem presents, please try the following: 1. Close any other programs that are currently running. 2. Increase your system's virtual memory size and make sure that you have at least several hundred megabytes free on your system's hard drive. 3. If you still get this message, consider adding additional memory (RAM) to your system." My hard drive still has 58141 MB free and has used 59038 MB. Doesn't that seem like it's enough to burn my movie?

Do you think I should invest in an external hard drive and put Pennicle only on it? Surely, that way I would be able to do this. I don't know how that would work, but I guess I could find out.

Thanks so much for your help.
ccp

Edited by ccp, 20 December 2005 - 03:32 AM.