Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant view Streaming video

• Please log in to reply

CB_Epyon

CB_Epyon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hey, i am having problems viewing Windows Media streams on web sites. It just started a few days ago, and I cant really remember any settings I have changed, besides installing WinAmp. I thought that coudl be the problem so i Uninstalled it but i still cant view them. On firefox or default IE. I have norton but i enabled Windows media through the firewall a long time ago, and i checked to make sure it was enabled and it was. Im not sure what the problem is or if this is the right place to post, but hopefully you guys can help. i Have windows XP home edition, with service pack 2.

Advertisements

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi CB. I share your problem. I used to watch CNN and BBC videos, and listen to BBC radio programmes,but then, from one day to the next, and for no apparent reason, I was unable to get any kind of streaming activity to work. I've spent days hunting around the Internet looking for the answer. There are lots and lots of opinions, lots of basic questions asked, but I have found NO-ONE who knows what the definitive answer is.
I've followed plenty of advice given to the many people who have the same problem, including reinstalling WMP10, downloading Media Player Classic, fiddling about with Javascript settings, and so on, and so on. The only thing I haven't done is to install Real Player, because I hate the way it crawls all over my computer. In any case, streaming was working fine without it before.
What generally happens is that I click on a link for some streaming content, the browser-based player opens (for example the CNN Player), there's a short burst of modem activity, the player says "Ready", and that's it - no further progress. It's not buffering, there's no downloading of anything, no error message, no sign of problems at all, other than a totally blank video panel. Correction!! Sometimes an advertisement will play perfectly, but just when I get excited and think the problem's solved, the ad ends, the video panel goes blank, and that obnoxious word "Ready" sits on the status line of the player.
I've found at least 20 people with the exact same problem, but NOT ONE of them has found a solution. I hope you don't mind me hitching a ride on your post - you know what they say: "Misery loves company".
I'm hoping that by replying to your question, instead of starting a new thread, we'll spark some interest with the movement, and get some genius to take a look at this problem. There MUST BE a simple answer - I hope.
Good luck to us both.

CB_Epyon

CB_Epyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
the same thing happens to me. The video player says "Ready" but never plays. I push play, still nothing. Doesnt make sense to me.

Danimagus

Danimagus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Same problem here, too. Nothing I can come up with seems to work. *melancholy sigh*

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi CB and Danimagus.
Looks like nobody's interesting in helping us with this problem, either that, or they're as stumped as we are. I guess we'll have to help ourselves - then maybe we'll be able to pass the solution on to the many others who have this problem.
Have either of you had any luck looking elsewhere for the answer? Or have you done anything differently that solved the problem?
I have had no luck at all so far - other than to totally screw up my computer a couple of times by fiddling about with all sorts of settings.
Keep in touch, and let's work together on this one.

Danimagus

Danimagus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I posted about this on a couple forums in the past, like at Microsoft's website. And, yeah, nothing at all. Just nonsense like "Make sure your video card is all the way in." Uhh... yeah.

It's just bizarre, one day it works, the next it doesn't. Even after reformatting, my pretty much brand new computer refuses to play streaming video. I figured it might be my drivers or something, but it's all up to date...

CB_Epyon

CB_Epyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Actually.......
I think the reason they havent helped is because they see 5 comments and assume I have been helped. They go on how many comments each post has, working from zero up. Honestly i dont think I will ever get help now, because of that. Please, post your own problems in your own thread. No offence, I just dont think i will be getting help with the ammount of comments i have. Maybe ill learn something from the help you get on your post. If not ill post again, hopefully they wont delete it. Thank you.

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
CB - I apologise if I've offended you. I DID ask your permission on 29th November after you'd had no replies for 2 days. However, I'll put the post somewhere else. Please feel free to chip in on my post if wish.
Good luck with your problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, on general click delete cookies, click delete files, tick include offline content, click clear history, confirm, close IE

Open media Player, click tools then options then performance, check video acceleration is on, check the buffer size is set to 20 seconds, click apply

Put the dot for connection speed in choose, select a speed well above your line speed, click apply

Click file types, click select all, click apply, close Media Player, try to view a stream like any of the videos from Yahoo Music for your location

Danimagus

Danimagus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the reply, but that's not working on my computer. Maybe it does the trick for the other guys?

Advertisements

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
(With apologies to CB) Thanks Keith, but it doesn't work for me either.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Another thing is to click tools options, on the player tab click connect to the internet, click apply, close Media player

Do you get this with all Players

http://www.filehippo...are/multimedia/

Danimagus

Danimagus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Progress! I did what you suggested and also installed the codec pack on the site you posted... now, on launch.yahoo.com, I now connect, at least. It buffers and I get sound, but no video, yet.

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Danimagus. Glad you're making progress. Which Codec pack did you download?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Maybe this would help to establish if it is the player or the system

http://www.filehippo...nload_bsplayer/

Don't think it will stream Yahoo