Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant view Streaming video

• Please log in to reply

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for sticking with us Keith. For my part, I would mention that I don't actually open ANY player in order to watch the videos. I just click on the link on the website (eg: www.cnn.com, or http://launch.yahoo.com/) and click on the video link. Normally a player appears within the browser window, and that's where the fun stops. I've disabled pop-up blockers, etc just in case, but I still get no further than seeing a blank video window.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows Media Player Cannot Play Streaming Media If There Are Two Remote Access Connections

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;810635

When you are a limited user on Windows XP Home Edition, you cannot receive streamed media through Windows Media Player.

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Keith. Not applicable in my case. It WAS working fine - just stopped one fine day. I've attached a screenshot (I think) of what happens with Yahoo Music. Much the same with other websites - the only difference is the format of the media player that appears.

Attached Thumbnails

• Yahoo.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is to check the system files are there

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry Keith. It took a while to complete the scan and reboot. No joy, I'm afraid. I hope that CB was able to fix his problem with your information, otherwise he's going to be very annoyed at me for continuing to hitchhike on his thread.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can either move on to repairing XP or trying to re-install Media Player

If you use add / remove and system restore was on when you installed Media Player 10, it will roll back to 9 and then it would be worth checking if you can stream if not then download media player from here

http://www.filehippo...s_media_player/

Just before you download it, click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm and reboot

Another thing to try is Tune Up 2006 which will check for incorrect entries and obsolete software, if you run this, do it in between rolling back media player and re-installing 10

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Can you check the IE security settings are default / medium

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Keith (and Hi CB - I see you're online and hope you're having better luck than me). I followed your detailed instructions without any luck. Streaming just isn't happening. I've tried a variety of streaming sources, but they all react the same way, and just stop dead with no explanation and no error message. WMP and my other media players all work fine from Hard Disk or CD, both for audio and video.
Many thanks for taking a great deal of time to help.
That Tune Up 2006 is excellent by the way - thanks.

Terence

Terence

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: :) :) CRACKED IT!!
Thanks Keith... you put me on the right track. Your instructions were to roll back to WMP9, which I did without success with streaming. However, Tune Up 2006 shows some stuff on the "Uninstall" menu that's not on the normal Windows Control Panel uninstall menu. With Tune Up 2006 I noticed something called "Windows Media Format Runtime".
Having rolled back to WMP9 with no luck, and out of sheer frustration, I hit "uninstall" on "Windows Media Format Runtime". It, too, rolled back to a previous version.
Still with WMP9 I tried a streaming website - CNN - and abracadabra, streaming video!! I hit C-Span, Yahoo Music, NASA, and a few others - all with 100% success.
It took all my courage to go to File Hippo and download WMP10 and install it. I got even more nervous when I saw the installation program installing "Windows Media Format Runtime". Would it kill streaming video again?
I am happy to report that everything works just fine. No problems at all with streaming video after 2 months of searching.
As a by-product I have a squeaky clean computer thanks to Keith and Tune Up 2006.
I hope this works for the other guys and the many others who'll come this way.
CB, thanks for the use of your thread. I hope I've paid you back for squatting on your territory. Let us know how you get on with your problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

CB_Epyon

CB_Epyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
seems to work for me too. I didnt do everything Keith said, just cleared history and all that. Then i downloaded the codec pack. worked shortly after. i think because it was unchecked on "connect to internet" on windows media, is why it wasnt working. however, i cant figure out why it would work then all of a sudden stop working completly without me making any changes. oh well. thanks keith, hopefully it will continue to work.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

however, i cant figure out why it would work then all of a sudden stop working completly without me making any changes.

That's what makes computers wonderful

Thank You for letting me know

bingoman

bingoman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i got the very same problem...

wmp10 wont stream video, it shows the interface, plays the prerecorded media snippet etc, but will not connect.

it just says ready.

like here, the interface etc is ok, but the screen black

http://www.smithappe...tyjeopardy1.php

same in cnn.com etc.

i did what was said before, i rolled back wmp 10 to 9. Installed tuneup 2006.

rolled back "Windows Media Format Runtime" but still no go...

quicktime works fine as always streaming.

This is driving me nuts, and i just reformated and reinstalled 1 month ago.

Dont want to restore the image i made then so soon..

edit.. opened wmp9 now. I got to the home page fine, then clicked on simpsons. same result, but at last i got an error message 0xC00D1198: Cannot connect to the server

i tried every setting in the proxy, but nothing.

edit 2.........
the streaming worked in safe mode with networking..strange. i turned off zonealarm. But have no idea what other program that can cause the streaming not to work.

Edited by bingoman, 16 December 2005 - 03:51 PM.

Leiz

Leiz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there everyone.. I was having the same problems as well and I tried all those solutions that were given at this forum, but still it was no good for me. I was experienceing problems with streaming content with Windows Media Player 10 on Mozilla Firefox, it kept on saying Ready in the status bar but when I clicked the PLAY button, nothing would happen....so I went off and tried to find the soulition that worked for me and I guess I found it. If the streaming content worked before you had this error you may have to just reset the web settings, I did this and found it much easier, just launch IE and click Tools then Internet Options, Under the Internet Options click the Programs tab and look down and click teh Reset Web Settings. It will change IE as your default browser again but you can always make Firefox your default browser anytime you want. But just in case, for those who prefer Mozilla, just launch the browser and it will ask you if you want Firefox as your default Internet browser, or manually...go to Tools, Options, and when you're in General, look down to find Default Browser and check the box. Okay hopefully this reply helps