Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spybot/Adaware/ Microsoft Antispyware [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jim45

Jim45

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Hi, I'm new here, and yesterday, Crusyoldbloke helped me win the battle against Winfixer on my wife's computer, and I'm very grateful to him and the fact that I found this site. Great place. Anyhow, up until yesterday, my wife had absolutely no Spyware programs on her comp, but now has Spybot and Microsoft Antispyware. I also have these 2, plus Adaware. We both run Norton Antivirus(with automatic live updates) and we always get the Microsoft updates. My question is what is the best way to have Spybot, Adaware, and/or Microsoft Antispyware set up for the best protection? Is just installing them all with their default settings about the best or??? I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm not completely ignorant about computers either. Spybot says advanced mode is more for advanced users to some degree, and to be careful how you set it up. The Microsoft program I have set on "real time protection", which I guess is fine. I'm not using "Ad Watch" with Adaware.......should I? Or do most people just run a scan once a week or??? I'm not trying to make a federal case out of this, just curious what the most efficient way to set up these programs is. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again Jim

I believe that you deserve my advice as part of your malware problem, and I have no problem in giving it to you.

You and your wife have chosen Norton as your AV programme; that's great and even better that they will auto update too.

Now it sounds as though you have chosen Microsoft Antispyware (MSAS) as your AS programme; that too is really good since it updates daily and also performs a daily scan.

That is it as far as real-time scanners go. Anything else you choose will have to be for on demand scanning and not run in real-time.

My personal favourites to go with MSAS would be, Spybot set to default setting, Ad-Aware set to default setting and Ewido set to default setting. Just ensure that you update these programmes before scanning. I use Ewido twice a week and alternate weekly between Spybot and Ad-Aware.

I trust that explains things a little better to you.

Kind regards

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Thanks Phil! Sounds like we're o.k. then. No sign of Winfixer so far...........looks like we killed it. Got a full refund on that Xoft program also! Thanks again!!

Edited by Jim45, 28 November 2005 - 07:57 PM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
You are very welcome. Sounds like Xoftspy realise their limitations. Good luck.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.