Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear WGR614v6

• Please log in to reply

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
This is NOT a call for help as I have already solved the problem. This is being posted so that anyone with the same problem will find this solution with a search.

The problem I had is that when you first connect the router, it goes into a setup wizard, however after the first step was completed it would time out waiting for the next page. I could ping DNS servers but the router would not let me connect to web pages, any attempt to do so brought me back to the setup wizard.

I tried using advanced setup, but as soon as I logged out and tried to connect, well it's back to the setup wizard.

I also tried updating the firmware to latest (beta) version and with that the wizard no longer hangs! Rather you can complete the setup and then it loops back to the start of the wizard, ad infinitum.

As you might imagine I was getting more than a bit frustrated at this stage. Further investigation revealed that if you enter the address http://www.routerlog..._HiddenPage.htm (that's CA_HiddenPage) you can disable the terminally confused wizard, I had to use IE to do it though (didn't like Netscape).

It seems to be working for now but I'll be returning it later anyway, I just don't want my neighbours to be without the security that a NAT router provides in the meantime.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Even further investigation reveals that the router is in fact fine, it would seem that whoever did the programming of the web based interface was very slack in checking for browser compatibility. The router setup will work under IE 6.0 sp1 but not under Netscape 7.2 (hardly the most obscure browser out there).

So I won't be returning it for a replacement, interestingly enough it (WGR614v6) is not as secure as my WGR614v4 router. I can get mine to stealth all ports, but the v6 version has port 0 <nil> closed rather than stealthed.

Edited by Kurt_Aust, 02 December 2005 - 06:21 AM.

Advertisements