Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wininet.dll Module faulting

• Please log in to reply

deb1385

deb1385

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The Past few days i have encountered a problem, and have made several attempts to correct it my self, to no avail.

the problem involves the windows system file WININET.DLL

When i attempt to run a program such as MS Internet Explorer 6sp1, AIM, Microsoft Outlook, STEAM the program will "hang", and i will have to manually exit the program, either by clicking the "x" and having windows tell me there was a problem, or by entering the windows task manager, and ending the respective process OR the dwwin.exe prosess.

each time the same program is cited for the error.

here are some copys of the errors the the windows event viewer lists:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2800.1106, fault address 0x000619d0.

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2800.1106, fault address 0x000619d0.

Faulting application steam.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2800.1106, fault address 0x000619d0.

Faulting application aim.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2800.1106, fault address 0x000619d0.

I have run Virus Scans using PANDA and AVG
I have scanned using AdAware SE, and SyBot (SpyBot??) Search and Destroy
I have used the windows system file checker (SFC)
I have used the ie.inf reinstall feature
I have looked at microsofts knoladgebase, they cite possible repairs for win98, but with XP it wont work (unless im looking at the wrong articals)
I even did a windows system repair/rebuild from the origional CD

Oddly enough, i was able to get a Mozilla Firefox setup file on a CD from a trusted friend, and that is what i am currently using now.

Internet Explorer works fine so long as you dont attempt to acsess an online page with it. Same with AIM. It appears that when the program attempt internet accsess it will crash the program.

I am running Norton Anti-Virus 2004, and Norton Internet Security 2004 Pro, and before this incident started occuring (about wednesday), i was planning to purchase the 2006 editions.

My Internet connection is VerizonOnlineDSL behind a westell wireless router (with firewall)

Any help will be much greatly appreciated.

- Damian

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I would try checking your memory for problems. If you have more than 1 stick of memory, I would try taking 1 stick out then trying to run your aps. Swap them out if it still doesn't work and see if the second piece of memory will run anything.

You can also try running diagnotics on your system. What kind of system do you have?

deb1385

deb1385

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I would try checking your memory for problems. If you have more than 1 stick of memory, I would try taking 1 stick out then trying to run your aps. Swap them out if it still doesn't work and see if the second piece of memory will run anything.

You can also try running diagnotics on your system. What kind of system do you have?

It is a Sager 8790-S

Its Build by Sager Midern Computers (www.sagernotebook.com)

Im currently using only one RAM stick.....still testing it

deb1385

deb1385

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Swapped the ram sticks...did both...tried diffrent combinations too (one ram stick in one slot...one in the other slot...etc.)

same results.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
deb1385,

Have you tried starting your computer in safe mode and seeing if your apps will run in safe mode?

deb1385

deb1385

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

deb1385,

Have you tried starting your computer in safe mode and seeing if your apps will run in safe mode?

Yes with the same results.

I have tried safemode with networking, without networking, including booting using the windows xp setup disc and running the recovery console to replace the wininet.dll file from the cd to the windows system32 folder.

- Damian

deb1385

deb1385

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
been testing ideas out....stuff that still uses wininet.dll dosent work at all.

when i run the task manager (taskmgr.exe) it sometimes shows the process image "system" taking up a huge about of cpu time.

im pretty sure all this stuff is software issues.

deb1385

deb1385

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i have determined that my "d" drive is causing some of the hardware issues i described...it is disconnected from the motherboard. I will see if i can get more testing done.

My Wininnet.dll is still all foobar.

-Damian