Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error message when running XP Repair

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I've had some corrupted XP files on my computer system ever since I ran AdAware software and deleted some files I should not have. Yesterday I ran the XP Repair as described here on the forum and it came up with an error message while reinstalling the system files. I clicked OK and it finished installing but after rebooting the link to my Netscape browser and my dial-up connections were lost. I tried to add my dial-up connection again but the Internet Connection Wizard will not let me add a dial-up connection. The dial-up feature is grayed out and my only choice is a broadband connection with continues connection. Has anyone had this same problem and does anyone know how I can get my dial-up account set up again? Everything else seems to run fine and I haven't found any other missing links or changed settings.

I wrote down the error message but unfortunately I am at work now and I left the message at home. If anyone needs to know the error number I will have to post it this evening when I get home. Thanks.

Advertisements

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
New information-Error message was 711. I talked with the Help line of my ISP last night and the person I talked with said it sounds like the registry is corrupted. Does anyone here know if I can fix that myself or if it would be easier to reformat the drive and reinstall everything? I have no idea what is in a registry or how to edit it but I have heard you can really screw up your computer if you do the wrong thing to the registry. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if it is a registry error then
place your XP CD in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

also...right click on my computer > manage > device manager...do y ou see any yellow ? or !?

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
sorry dsenette, I'm at work right now so can't get to my home computer to check the device manager. Will do that tonight and post a reply. I originally ran the sfc /scannow you recommend before I ran the repair but it took about 5 hours to run because I kept getting messages that I could not read and I had to sit there and click the OK button constantly. The reason I could not read the messages was that I had deleted the fonts from my computer and all I had on screen were signs and symbols. I was just navigating by memory so don't have a clue what the popup messages were saying while the sfc utility was running. After I did the repair utility I had my fonts back but the Internet Options feature did not work right hence my thought that the registry is corrupt. I will try to post again tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for your prompt reply.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right...since you did the repair...go ahead and try the sfc again...

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
First of all I checked the device manager and there is a yellow i? under 'System devises' beside 'Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver'. Don't know what that means but it might be part of the problem.

Next I put the XP installation disk in and did the sfc /scannow as you said. A window opened that said "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache." There was a progress bar under that message.

A moment after that window came up another window opened that said, "Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now". There were 3 choice bars in that window which were, "Retry", "More Information", and "Cancel". I have XP Home version installed and originally used this same disk.

I hit the "Retry" button and the following message came up; "The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive". I hit OK and the first message came back up after a moment. I then hit the "More Information" button and the message that came back said;

"Possible reasons for this problem"
.you have inserted the wrong CD (i.e. a different Windows Product CD than the version installed)
.the CD-ROM drive in your system is not funtioning.

I then swapped the installation disk to my other CD-ROM drive and went through the whole sequence again with exactly the same results.

Any idea whats going on? I'm absolutely sure I used the right installation disk and it is the XP Home version. I am pretty certain there is nothing wrong with either CD-ROM drive. I had previously upgraded to SP2 on my system before I ran the repair on the OS. Is it possible the system now thinks I have a different version than XP Home installed?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
for that message to come up...you would have to currently have xp pro installed...and would be trying to use an xphome cd...this is odd..

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
That's the way it would look. I went to 'System Information' and under operating system it says, "Microsoft XP Home Edition". Under version it says, "5.1.2600 Build 2600". Should I just give up and start from scratch or do you have any other ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it depends on what info you're wanting to save off of the machine...do you have alot of important stuff on there?

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have a spare 40GB HDD (always keep one handy), I'll just make the drive in the computer my slave and format and install the spare drive as my primary drive and put XP on it. It's a pain having to reinstall everything on the new drive but at least that way I never lose my data from the original. I can just copy the essential files I can't live without from the old drive to the new drive. Main problem I'll have is figuring out how to find my old e-mail addresses and messages. I know they are in a file somewhere under Mozilla or Netscape but I'm not sure how to retrieve them and get them into the new browser. I have downloaded a full install for Netscape 8.0 and plan to install that along with Opera and Foxfire. Of course IE will be installed from the XP disk. Between the four browsers I can usually get one of them to work. I just keep trying a different one until one of them doesn't come back with the dreaded "Remote Server Not Found" message. Thanks for your help.